Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cheap Chillers?

myrxseven

ProFlatlander15

There are some Peltier-type (thermoelectric) chillers out there for around $200, but nothing with real power for that price. I have been in the market for one ever since I set up my 29 ( a year ago) and am still waiting for thr 'right deal.' Or more money, whichever comes first. I have my eye on the JBJ 1/15 (i think) chillers, going for just under $300 on eBay.

joel sandoman

unfortunately there is no such thing. however i do hear that it is better just to buy an A/C for you tank room. that way you can be cool too! I'm looking into doing it for myself.

Unfortunately, the cheapest chiller you're going to find is a fan. You might find something cheap on ebay. The A/C idea isn't bad, either. :)

HecticDialectics
Unfortunately, the cheapest chiller you're going to find is a fan. You might find something cheap on ebay. The A/C idea isn't bad, either. :)

A widnow A/C cooling a whole room is gonna drive up your electricity bill a lot more than a chiller

crazinezz978

there was a DIY chiller thing i saw a few days ago. Not sure if it works, but sounded nice. If i find it again ill post it. It has to do with drilling 2 holes in a mini-refrigerator and running your tank water through them in a pipe.

A widnow A/C cooling a whole room is gonna drive up your electricity bill a lot more than a chiller

Completely true. A/C is the complete opposite of a cheap cooling solution. Even an electro-thermal chiller would be MUCH better than A/C... -_- I work in the utility industry so trust me when I say A/C is FAR more expensive. Just the consumption alone will eclipse a chiller, not to mention they both cost as much for a good one too!

joel sandoman

if you need to cool your tank because the LIGHTS are heating it up then yes a chiller would be better. but if the ambient temp is heating it up then that must mean that you are hot too. don't you want to be comfortable too?

Of course personal comfort is of the essance, but unfortunately our fish and corals are confined to a tank, held hostage of sorts really. We however are not, and if the room gets too hot for us, we can move to another room, or seek shelter at the mall or friends house or just outside in the shade. We don't require A/C to prevent from overheating since we are a bit more mobile than fish. And the cost factor will ALWAYS kill any other combined benifits an A/C unit may provide.

Frozen bags of water, or frozen gatorade bottles.

however only use the gatorade if your fish are on a regular workout routine, and need to replace their electrolites...

Archived