inTank Media Baskets

Nano Reefer in Albany, NY - Christopher Marks - HELP!

Jimbo205

It is all here.

HELP ME!

http://cdmas.org/forums/index.php?topic=1034.0

Christopher Marks, I have read every article I could find that you wrote.

Now I just need to find out what type and how deep my soil has to be underneath my Seachem Grey Coast and Seachem Meridian and how deep it all has to be.

I am reading everything I can find.

I am trying to make the cross over from Naturally Planted Aquariums (FreshWater) to Naturally Planted Nano Reef.

HELP ME PLEASE.

Jimbo205

Hey there fellow albanian hahaha i didnt know there was any on here besides me. i dont know much about your topic but its great to finally see someone on here from albany. where is your lfs i usually go to eddies.

andrew

Andrew, good to meet you.

For me it is either Eddies Aquarium or Union Aquarium. Eddies is closer to work. Union Aquarium in Schenectady is closer to home.

Aquariums are such a specialized field that I only trust fellow hobbyists that I chat with online. In a store you never know if they are just telling you something just to get you to buy something else or they just don't know the answer. I know most of them are well meaning, but unless you are talking to the owner of the store (who has years and years in the hobby) or a graduate student or someone with a background in either chemistry or biology - you are screwed.

That's why I come online.

It is nice to meet fellow hobbyists online and that is why I have started learning about Nano Reef tanks. It seems like the only hobby with an interest in our Area.

www.cdmas.org

I am trying very hard to get good answers to my question. Seems like a brand new field to a lot in the hobby. I liked Christopher Marks articles about low tech and the reef tank. Makes a lot of sense. I just need to learn how to do it.

And since once you lay down substrate - well, it is pretty hard to tear it all back up again, you know?

So what do you guys and girls think Christopher Marks would say? Wing it. Give me your thoughts.

How much dirt or soil would YOU put underneath your Seachem Grey Coast and or Seachem Meridian to grow Seagrass in your Nano Reef (10 Gallons).

Andrew, if you know or know someone that knows - I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

Jimbo205

P.S. If you want to view my current tanks just google - Jimbo205. I hope you like them.

Hey there fellow albanian hahaha i didnt know there was any on here besides me. i dont know much about your topic but its great to finally see someone on here from albany. where is your lfs i usually go to eddies.

andrew

Andrew, good to meet you.

For me it is either Eddies Aquarium or Union Aquarium. Eddies is closer to work. Union Aquarium in Schenectady is closer to home.

Aquariums are such a specialized field that I only trust fellow hobbyists that I chat with online. In a store you never know if they are just telling you something just to get you to buy something else or they just don't know the answer. I know most of them are well meaning, but unless you are talking to the owner of the store (who has years and years in the hobby) or a graduate student or someone with a background in either chemistry or biology - you are screwed.

That's why I come online.

It is nice to meet fellow hobbyists online and that is why I have started learning about Nano Reef tanks. It seems like the only hobby with an interest in our Area.

www.cdmas.org

I am trying very hard to get good answers to my question. Seems like a brand new field to a lot in the hobby. I liked Christopher Marks articles about low tech and the reef tank. Makes a lot of sense. I just need to learn how to do it.

And since once you lay down substrate - well, it is pretty hard to tear it all back up again, you know?

So what do you guys and girls think Christopher Marks would say? Wing it. Give me your thoughts.

How much dirt or soil would YOU put underneath your Seachem Grey Coast and or Seachem Meridian to grow Seagrass in your Nano Reef (10 Gallons).

Andrew, if you know or know someone that knows - I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

Jimbo205

P.S. If you want to view my current tanks just google - Jimbo205. I hope you like them.

Okay, I don't know if you guys know Tom Barr (really, really smart guy) but he said, "You just mix the soil with the sand and at about a 1:3 ratio and then cap with 2" or so of plain sand. 4-6" is good for most species of soft sediment seagrass."

What do you all think, feel or what is your opinion? You don't have to be right.

Just give a shot.

I know you are reading this! :smile: (ha, ha)

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew, I feel so screwed. I just got on Friday the 2 books I ordered on Natural Reef Tanks and another one on Nano Reefs.

I am about to puke.

I just about finished one of the books and my brain is overloaded with all their crap about 'high tech' stuff. Like I am made of $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I know authors need to endorse products to get people in the industry to help sell their books, but.......

Bleeech!

I am hoping with time it will all make more sense. I can so much see what they mean by take your time getting into this and research like crazy. Oh my gosh!

Andrew are you going to the Frag Swap on Saturday May 10th or whatever that Saturday's date is?

I've got so much to learn still.

Andrew is your Nano Reef high tech or low tech?

Okay, I don't know if you guys know Tom Barr (really, really smart guy) but he said, "You just mix the soil with the sand and at about a 1:3 ratio and then cap with 2" or so of plain sand. 4-6" is good for most species of soft sediment seagrass."

What do you all think, feel or what is your opinion? You don't have to be right.

Just give a shot.

I know you are reading this! :smile: (ha, ha)

Archived