ReefCleaners.org

New Xenia Frag hasn't opened... tips?

Poonagi

So 2 days ago I got a freshly cut stalk of xenia. i got it home and wedged it between two rocks in my tank. at that time it had obviously really closed up and was tiny. since then it hasn't really opened up... well maybe slightly but it's still all shriveled up and tiny.

checked water params - all good

flow seems to be average at that spot

no animals are bothering it (no fish yet in tank)

light is standard 12G aquapod (2x27w i think)

any ideas or tips? should i just be patient? this is my first frag i stuck in the tank so, total noob here. thanks for your help.

and just to confirm i didn't screw this part of it up. i took the stalk and put it between two pieces of rubble. i pushed the two pieces together so that the base fit in there "snug". not too tight to squish it, but not loose enough so that the xenia would float away. is that suitable? or should i consider another option?

alexmurovec

most people like to glue their frags with super glue, but make sure its the GEL form. theres lots of forums on it, you could easily find one with a simple search.

as for the frag opening, i dont have any experience with corals yet as my tank is still cycling.

One Eyed Bunny

Xenia sp. attach to most anything fairly quickly. I've clipped mine and within 12 hrs. I've had it attached to a plug or piece of rubble. "Squishing" it between two rocks will probably work. I wouldn't worry about it not opening right away, the acclimation and transport periods sometimes stress them out. It'll come around.

My biggest suggest is that once it attaches to a rock, isolate that rock. Xenia sp. spreads rather rapidly and grows in the direction of the greatest flow, typically. So if you don't want it taking over your tank like hair algae I would suggest placing it either high in your tank or in an isolated area.

i dont think you can glue xenia, i think it will burn it... mine was on a tiny piece of rock i got from a buddy, no kidding when i say the rock was like the size of a pencil eraser (tiny frag)... and i glued it to a bigger rock (size of a roll of quarters) ... well 1 month later and it has moved onto the big rock and has easily quadrupled in size... give it time and it will open

thank you all for the tips. so glue is bad for xenia... good to know. :) i guess i'll just be patient with it! hopefully it comes around.

What are your temps & what salt do you use?

I've noticed xenia is somewhat sensitive to higher temps, as well as doing better with decent levels of iodine. Oceanic salt(what I use) is low on iodine compared to others, so every once in a while (and during a water change) I dose a small bit of Seachem Iodide (safer version). Never been able to keep xenia alive until I started dosing it. Just don't overdose it.

What are your temps & what salt do you use?

I've noticed xenia is somewhat sensitive to higher temps, as well as doing better with decent levels of iodine. Oceanic salt(what I use) is low on iodine compared to others, so every once in a while (and during a water change) I dose a small bit of Seachem Iodide (safer version). Never been able to keep xenia alive until I started dosing it. Just don't overdose it.

interesting... that's the first i've read of dosing iodine. :) i use premixed salt from my LFS so honestly not sure on iodine levels (i always assumed it was fine because this is the water they put straight into their reef tanks). my temp fluctuates at 78-80 more or less. should i drop it any lower?

I'm not that experienced myself, but xenia was my first frag. From what I have read PH is probably one of the most important factors for xenia so check that and if it and everything else is ok it should open just fine. The advice I got on PH is to make sure it is about 8.2-8.3. Mine fluctuates during the day from 8.0 to 8.2 and my xenia is doing well. Temp of 78-80 should be ok. Based on advice I got I just used a rubberband to hold mine to the rock I wanted it on and it attached within 24 hours and has since moved to a higher rock.

Don't dose anything unless you have tested for it and know you need it, then follow the instructions carefully. Give it time it will open.

Archived