Cultivated Reef

considering a 29g Oceanic Biocube

audi99a4

Let me start by saying that I'm new to salt-water tanks...my g/f is the one considering the task. I currently have a 55g cichlid tank, a 29g fry grow out tank, and a 10g quarantine.

We're considering the 29g Oceanic Biocube. I've been researching for the past few days and I'm looking to find some good advice.

I know the kit comes with compact flourescent lamps, will this suffice for a coral tank? Is it advisable to upgrade...and if so, what's suggested (Metal Halide...etc.)? And also, are their upgrades that would fit seemlessly with the tank kit?

Will the kit's wet/dry filtration be ideal for a coral set-up? If not, what type of upgrades are available/suggested...(refugium....etc)?

Will I need additional powerheads, protein skimmer...etc.?

I'm looking to get started within the next month or 2 and figure it'll be another few months before I get the tank established.

I was thinking the tank would have live rock, coral, a few critters(shrimp, etc.) and maybe a small fish or 2.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated....and yes I am reading through all the resources available on this forum and many others.

Thanks

reefman5511

I've heard there is a problem maintaining the proper water level with the Biocubes so you might want to consider another make like the Aquapod, JBJ or Red Sea Max if you have the $$$.

Take a look at www.nanotuners.com They have all sorts of upgrades for all the different cubes.

I currently have 2 -12 gal cubes (JBJ & Aquapod). The filters are adequate. Might want to consider removing the bioballs & using LR rubble instead. Bioballs will lead to nitrate problems down the road.

Sapphire makes a skimmer to fit in one of the back compartments.

Good luck!

I've heard there is a problem maintaining the proper water level with the Biocubes so you might want to consider another make like the Aquapod, JBJ or Red Sea Max if you have the $$$.

Take a look at www.nanotuners.com They have all sorts of upgrades for all the different cubes.

I currently have 2 -12 gal cubes (JBJ & Aquapod). The filters are adequate. Might want to consider removing the bioballs & using LR rubble instead. Bioballs will lead to nitrate problems down the road.

Sapphire makes a skimmer to fit in one of the back compartments.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice.

which kits would be considered better? I'm not familiar with all the brands. I'd rather spend money on a higher quality product, than suffer the consequences later.

also, is it better to pick up a kit and upgrade or build my own set? I was considering the kit route, so that I would have back-up equipment if things went awry.

tks!

Archived