Coral Vue Hydros

Strange Problem...

fraggle rockette

fraggle rockette

Tonite I came home and found yet another hermit crab out of his shell dying... that's the second in a month. Could something be pulling them from their shells? The other strange thing that went with it was that one of my mushrooms was torn to pieces and only a corner was left flapping in the current. The same thing happened before when the previous hermit was deshelled- a mushroom ripped to shreds and destroyed. What could be doing this? Everything is well fed. Are bristle worms that intense? I'm worried. Thanks guys...

hmmm hermit crabs are a shady bunch... tend to kill each other in a epic battle because there can only be one. must have been the swords they used in the fight that cut up the mushrooms. Sorry if this isn't any help consider it a free bump :D

maybe time to whip out the old flashlight and take a gander after the lights have been off for a few hours? maybe check for enucid worms or something?

could just be hermit/hermit aggression too. what other inverts/fish do you have?

oh yeah make sure the flash light is red tint so they don't see you watching them... yeah cause they can't see red light usually.

darkfishy2690

No iddea about the mushroom, but you sure you have enough shells for them? Remember as hermits grow they are going to need bigger shells.

yup hermits can be a shady bunch indeed. It's not at all unheard of for a hermit actually pull another hermit out of its shell. It may help to throw in some empty shells as real estate for them once they outgrow their current shell. I did that and i see hermits switching shells pretty often. but maybe that's just to throw off my mantis so he can't keep track of the two survivors :D

as for the shrooms... well i can't see how hermits might be related to that but hey ya never know. I do know that sometimes there are bristleworms that feed on shrooms/zoos. These usually end up being the monster ones that only come out at night and are over a foot long.... *shudder*

Hermits definitely fight eachother, especially for shells. I've heard of some that even get mere joy out of de-shelling a mate and then walking off, just because they can. As for the shroom, not sure how to explain that one. But keep an eye our for a possible true type crab... Bristle worms aren't that intense unless they are huge, and you'd probably see it by now if that was the case, some with a eunice worm, you'd have probably seen it by now if it was that destructive, but you never know... Maybe you have a mantis shrimp? =/ Do you hear any noises from the tank at night when lights are out?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i'd be inclinded to think one of your hermitts was ripped from his shell by another more sinister hermitt.

and the shroom, well its probably the only thing the hermitt had to grab on to. :)

that being said, i'd double check your water.

fraggle rockette

thanks everyone... i do have a scary big looking bristleworm in there i'm gonna fish out this week... thought they were all gone... but could he do this???:

mushydestroyedbetterpic.jpg

mushroom on left... or what's left of it. sigh.

Does that Goni ever come into contact with the shrooms? Not sure how aggressive they are, but it seems it's just the two on that side that are affected. Just a thought.

fraggle rockette

no i made sure when it's extended it doesnt, plus it's like zero aggression i think anyway... the mushy was damaged before i added that to the tank a few days ago... it was supposed to be for my clowns, but they decided they like bugging the fox coral instead... oh well... sadness tho- i'm watching for whatever is doing this to my shrooms, and when i find out, i'm gonna fook it up :angry:

Only thing I can say is that 1/2 of my mini blue hermits have decided to go shell less... looks like I have mini taurantulas crawling around :lol:

Ahh... water boy, awesome movie!

fraggle rockette

roawr! i wonder if my crab with the napoleon complex finally grew into his shell and is killing everyone... :o

hmmm hermit crabs are a shady bunch... tend to kill each other in a epic battle because there can only be one. must have been the swords they used in the fight that cut up the mushrooms. Sorry if this isn't any help consider it a free bump :D

It doesn't appear that anyone caught the Highlander reference. Nicely done, great show and movies!

MANTIS SHRIMP- i had the same exact problem// he terrorized my low lying mushroom and zoanthid polyps and hermits and snails. you might wanna look around for small burrows and rock crevices!

modularduck

I know that many of the LFS keep spare shells in a box and f you ask they will give you some of sell them super cheap so oyu hermits can upgrade to a bigger more spacious shell.

fraggle rockette

lots o extra shells in there...

oh no! what does a mantis shrimp look like??? :o

i knew i shouldve qtd the rock that i got from someone a little longer... agh.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

have you taken into consideration, the mushroom ripped itself in half? they do this when they divide. the mushroom usually takes a week or so to recover. if this is the case, somewhere in the tank there should be another shroom.

my rhodactis looked much the same when it ripped itself in two.

I know that many of the LFS keep spare shells in a box and f you ask they will give you some of sell them super cheap so oyu hermits can upgrade to a bigger more spacious shell.

You can also go and buy them for pretty cheap at the local craft store. You can get a bag of them and them pick out the really cool ones that glow! :)

lots o extra shells in there...

oh no! what does a mantis shrimp look like??? :o

i knew i shouldve qtd the rock that i got from someone a little longer... agh.

They look kinda like a tiny (usually greenish) lobster without claws. But beware, their hammers (or spears depending on species) are magnificent weapons. Larger mantises like the Peacock can strike their prey and enemies with their hammer claws with the force of a .22 caliber bullet, no kidding!! But if it's a mantis, you'd more than likely hear some sort of clicking noise coming from the tank at night as it burrows through and into your rocks.

Also never underestimate any coral, I thought that ricordea were rather harmless till my candycane fell one day last week and one head landed ontop of a ric. The candy cane head was missing MOST of the tissue from around the skeleton unfortunately. The ric messed it up pretty good. :(

Archived