inTank Media Baskets

Overflow Plumbing

omarshabaz

When plumbing the over flow from the bulkheads to the sump and the returns back to the tank, do I use pvc or some heavy flex tube and then just clamp it on the bulkheads.

seems to me if it was just clamped it would eventually come loose, do I need to glue it on to the bulkheads or is it a bad idea. how do you ensure that it wont come off?

thanks

If I plumb with PVC and bulkheads, I always try to use threaded fittings (+ teflon tape). They afford a great seal and they still allow you some modularity.

If I plumb with PVC and bulkheads, I always try to use threaded fittings (+ teflon tape). They afford a great seal and they still allow you some modularity.

What do you mean threaded fittings, this is all new to me. And how do you use the teflon tape. does that mean you use no clamps or glue?

thanks,

Threaded fittings are just screw in fittings instead of the standard method which is to use PVC primer and glue (that purple stuff you see on PVC). Threaded fittings need to be wrapped in Teflon tape to create a air tight seal, without the tape the system will leak. You should be able to pickup the tape and PVC pieces all down the same isle in your hardware store.

I would use PVC for the overflow as it will never kink or cause issues that could back up your overflow.

-Chuck

Threaded fittings are just screw in fittings instead of the standard method which is to use PVC primer and glue (that purple stuff you see on PVC). Threaded fittings need to be wrapped in Teflon tape to create a air tight seal, without the tape the system will leak. You should be able to pickup the tape and PVC pieces all down the same isle in your hardware store.

I would use PVC for the overflow as it will never kink or cause issues that could back up your overflow.

-Chuck

Sorry all this is new, how do the threaded fittings screw onto the bottom of the bulkheads, they are not threaded are they?

A pic is worth 1000 words, so here is the best I could slap together in paint:

bulkhead.plumbing.PNG

The threads on the bulkhead do not fit standard PVC fittings, but the slip-to-thread fitting will. This allows you to avoid permanently gluing everything, instead allowing you to unscrew and re-arrange if you decide to do something different.

Teflon tape should be used on all screw joints.

distantfire

When you buy your bulkheads you have a choice of buying slip fit or threaded. Threaded bulkheads cost a little more than the slip fit. But if you move your tanks a lot there worth the extra money.

Teflon tape is wraped around the threads of your hose barb fiting. And then the fiting is screwed into the bulkhead. The teflon tape helps prevent water from leaking out of the bulkhead.

Slip fit bulkheads require the use pvc cement. And the only way to take the pvc pipe apart after it has been cemented is to cut it.

When you buy your bulkheads you have a choice of buying slip fit or threaded. Threaded bulkheads cost a little more than the slip fit. But if you move your tanks a lot there worth the extra money.

Teflon tape is wraped around the threads of your hose barb fiting. And then the fiting is screwed into the bulkhead. The teflon tape helps prevent water from leaking out of the bulkhead.

Slip fit bulkheads require the use pvc cement. And the only way to take the pvc pipe apart after it has been cemented is to cut it.

Ok, my tank came with the overflow kits and the bulkheads it looks like they are the slip fit kind. Let me see if I can get a picture on here.

So then I would need to use the pvc cement and this would be permanent.

post-16218-1176214497_thumb.jpg

I see barb-fit bulkheads. Those appear to be made for use with soft plumbing, including hose clamps.

So no PVC just some kind of flex hose with clamps, and no glue?

It would appear so, but I have no personal experience with barb-fit bulkheads like the ones in your pic.

For soft plumbing, I usually use vinyl hose of the sort you can buy by the foot at Lowes or HD.

Sorry for making this even more complicated for you but don't forget the tube clamps. (Ask the people at home depot, what to get to keep the tubing tight around the barb) Also keep bends to a minimum by using shallow angles. Good luck.

Sorry for making this even more complicated for you but don't forget the tube clamps. (Ask the people at home depot, what to get to keep the tubing tight around the barb) Also keep bends to a minimum by using shallow angles. Good luck.

Would I be better off to swithc to double threaded bulkheads so that I can use pvc plumbing instead of flex hose for the drains.

Archived