ReefCleaners.org

Fragging coral: Unethical?

Balmarog

Ok, so coral are animals, but you cut them up... some one make me feel less guilty for planning on doing this at some point. :D

It is fine because you are promoting the species. Another way to look at it...do you cut your grass or trim any hedges? Eat anything that was ever alive? Thats the way I would look at it.

Corals have very little in the way of a nervous system. There is no evidence (that I've seen) that they can feel pain.

Pinner Reef

Fragging is the primary means of reproduction for corals... Just because it's not necessarily pleasurable dosn't make it wrong.

-pinner

Also, many corals utilize "fragging" that happens naturally as a means of reproduction.

Edit: Yeah, what he said ^^^^^^^

No way do I even consider it for money...

Its only to distrubute know aguaculture frags to responable reef keepers.

I realize its all wild at one time...but once its proven to grow...spread it to others

for years to come B)

Izzue

No way do I even consider it for money...

Its only to distrubute know aguaculture frags to responable reef keepers.

I realize its all wild at one time...but once its proven to grow...spread it to others

for years to come B)

Izzue

This one sounds good. I didn't think they could feel pain, but really didn't know for sure.

ReefApprentice

The only way "fragging" could be seen as unethical is a chop shop. They are not promoting aquaculture, nor any good morals. In nature, when a fish or waves break a piece off a coral, it is "fragged" and will grow from where it lands.

modularduck

as far as im concerned, if i can buy, trade as coral that has been aquacultured and know this to be the fact, then i think there is nothing wrong for it. it keeps whats left of natural reefs intact and i can, nay we can all have our little piece of ocean. i think it not different from giving any of my dogs a shot or say pulling pocupine needles out of their faces. and for the greater good of the planet i see nothing wrong with it.

How many people would stop if they heard a coral scream as they cut into it? :scarry: I know i would. But i believe that fragging has done a lot for the hobby and will continue to be a good thing.

RayWhisperer

"An angel came unto me, and took me on high, and higher still. And as we descended onto a vast reef tank of our own making. Cries of impending doom rose from the coral. One thousand! Nay! One million voices, full of fear. And terror possessed me then. And I begged, What are these tortured screams? And the angel said unto me, These are the cries of the Acans, the cries of the acans! You see Reverend RayWhisperer, tomorrow is fragging day, and to them, IT IS THE HOLOCAUST. And I sprang from my slumber drenched in the sweat of one million terrified brothers. And roared, HEAR ME NOW! HEAR MY CRIES! DAMN YOU! LET THE REEFERS WEAR GLASSES! I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT! THEY HAVE A CONSIOUSNESS! THEY HAVE A LIFE! SAVE OUR BROTHERS! Can I get an amen?"

Stolen from Tool, and slightly modified.

Here is the deal:

If you have a problem with:

1) animals dieing

2) animals under your care being killed by your ignorance, acident, or incompitance

3)animals of any kind being kept in captivity

4) hurting living orginisims without central nervousness (not possible)

5) spending lots of money on animals that may ultimatly die

...then you should get a new hobby.

period

lil'wrasse cool

I think if more people dont start to frag our hobby could become exstinct (sp?) in a few years. save our reefs. just like rain forests and paper, recycle or else we'll have to keep fresh water fish

most corals harvested, then bought, grow. Every frag from those corals sold saves a coral from being harvested. buy frags from an entusiaist, or put your frags back on the reef. :D

Ok, so coral are animals, but you cut them up... some one make me feel less guilty for planning on doing this at some point. :D

This was a great topic. Do you know the best way to frag hairy mushrooms, and zoanthids?

I too am new to this and wanted to hear someone tell me that it wasn't cruel!

mushrooms: Take off of rock with razor blade. Then use small scisors and cut them like pie. Try and get a peice of mouth at the end of every slice. Some people chop them in a blender a few times then dump them back into the tank, but I prefer the scissor method.

Zoos: peel them off the rock cut the small conecting tissue between the polyps. *** Use latex or vinyl gloves when fragging any coral, but be extra careful when fragging zoos. Palytoxin is no joke***

ok then don't. find someone else to sell them too. point is, keep the ones already taken alive and frag them so more don't have to be taken.

Please don't. Too much risk of contamination. Also, it's illegal.
lil'wrasse cool

ha ha blender thats great idea lol. I just have one rock fist size I bought it with about 7 mushrooms on it, never

had any babes from them so I'd just take a blade and split them down the middle. and put them back

for about a month or so and do it again now the rock has about 17ish on the little rock but they move away onto near by rocks. but i

have anouther kind that leaves trails of mushroom around the tank I only bought 1 about a year ago now

ther is around 11 little ones everywere from them blowing in the current. I'll post a pic. of the mother. it was about 2" across now

its about 5" across. no resent pics though its in the back of the tank but you can still see about a qtr. of it.

IMG_0885.jpg

I cant find a good pic of the ones I split, but that the mother and some babes in the back

This topic reminds me of the time my son was in middle school and doing a science fair project on the effects of various water params on FW Hydra survivorship & vigor. One of his classmates wanted to know if this wasn't cruel to the Hydra, meanwhile ignoring the zillions of bbs we were raising to feed the Hydra...(Artemia--arthropods--being far more evolutionarily "advanced" than cnidarians...). :)

The real ethical problem with this hobby is the collecting from the wild. Aquaculture can only help matters.

--Diane

Archived