Cultivated Reef

Cycle in a week?

bdare

First of all let me just preface this by saying I'm not a noob and I understand the whole cycling process in a tank. If you plan on flaming me... please just go away.

I'm starting a 8 gallon bio cube at work. Last week I added sand, 10lbs of cured LR (yes, I know... die off, but much less than uncured) and 1ppm RO/DI water.

On Thurdsay I tested for nitrites. I had about 20ppm. Today I tested for Nitraites and nitrates. Zero nitrites and about 20-30ppm nitrates.

Now I realize tanks usually take much longer than this to cycle, but don't you think if A) there are bacteria present to turn nitrites to nitrates B) Nitrites were present and are now gone that perhaps I'm done?

My last tank took me 6 weeks to cycle... Maybe the fish gods are being kind to me this time?

I'm almost wondering if I should throw some food in there to rot so the tank could handle a larger bio load.

Well, I don't know about the nitrate and blahblah stuff but I'm pretty sure throwing in food/shrimp into the tank to rot doesn't really help the cause. If you already have the live rock in there, I'm pretty sure that's enough for a cycle to happen properly. But good luck and I hope things work out

modularduck

i too am no expert by any means but i would give yourself at least another week then start with a CUC. while using Cured live rock will definatly help the process happen faster, it would suck to start putting all sorts of cool stuff in your tank just to have it crash. as has been said here a million times nothing that happens fast is good, better to wait. did you get a diatom bloom yet? if not then you tank for sure isn't ready. just my thoughts.

Totaly normal. I used cured rock strait out of an established tank, live sand from LFS, and mixed water.

no die off

no cycle.

I waited a few days and started adding livestock.

Still alive today

My philosophy has come to be... when in doubt, wait and wait some more. I'd just put a few snails in there and wait another two weeks (even if just to be on the safe side).

With my tank and a friends tank we started and had livestock deaths till month 2. but that was a 29 gallon and 55 gallon parameters where dead on also. Seems to be a thing with tank maturity, heck maybe we just got bad fish who knows. 2 months seems to be my thing now.

HecticDialectics
First of all let me just preface this by saying I'm not a noob and I understand the whole cycling process in a tank. If you plan on flaming me... please just go away.

I'm starting a 8 gallon bio cube at work. Last week I added sand, 10lbs of cured LR (yes, I know... die off, but much less than uncured) and 1ppm RO/DI water.

On Thurdsay I tested for nitrites. I had about 20ppm. Today I tested for Nitraites and nitrates. Zero nitrites and about 20-30ppm nitrates.

Now I realize tanks usually take much longer than this to cycle, but don't you think if A) there are bacteria present to turn nitrites to nitrates B) Nitrites were present and are now gone that perhaps I'm done?

My last tank took me 6 weeks to cycle... Maybe the fish gods are being kind to me this time?

I'm almost wondering if I should throw some food in there to rot so the tank could handle a larger bio load.

ammonia and ph?

If everything reads 0, and it's only been a week, I'd wait just one more week to be sure. Can't hurt, but might help... <shrugs>

Ammonia - 0

PH - 8.2

I've had several tanks in the past. None of them have cycled this fast and I really just wouldn't feel right putting anything in there yet, but it's so hard when the water tests say different. I suppose I just posted this so everyone would tell me what I already know...

BE PATIENT!

Thanks for helping me keep my head guys!

Ben

Ok...

I'm having second thoughts about this waiting stuff... Over the past 2 days I've seen a diatom bloom, the appearance of bubble algae AND copepods. I'm thinking I'm going to start adding a CUC.

ALSO!!! I just want to give more props to Premium Aquatics for thier live rock. One of the pieces I have has some sort of SPS encrusting coral growing on it. When I first got the rock I just assumed it was all dead, but over the past few days, I've seen multiple polyps open up! WOOT!

Ok...

I'm having second thoughts about this waiting stuff... Over the past 2 days I've seen a diatom bloom, the appearance of bubble algae AND copepods. I'm thinking I'm going to start adding a CUC.

ALSO!!! I just want to give more props to Premium Aquatics for thier live rock. One of the pieces I have has some sort of SPS encrusting coral growing on it. When I first got the rock I just assumed it was all dead, but over the past few days, I've seen multiple polyps open up! WOOT!

Do it! Your tank is ready. Add your CUC before the algae gets out of control. I started my tank with cured rock and seeded it with live sand from an established tank at the lfs. I had an extremely soft cycle and was fully cycled in about 5 or 6 days. I waited til the next weekend and added some of my CUC. waited another week after that and started with some corals. Nothing has died and everything is very healthy. I understand why people tell you to be patient and all that, but you have to listen to your tank. Your tank is telling you it is time, so do it!!

Do it! Your tank is ready. Add your CUC before the algae gets out of control. I started my tank with cured rock and seeded it with live sand from an established tank at the lfs. I had an extremely soft cycle and was fully cycled in about 5 or 6 days. I waited til the next weekend and added some of my CUC. waited another week after that and started with some corals. Nothing has died and everything is very healthy. I understand why people tell you to be patient and all that, but you have to listen to your tank. Your tank is telling you it is time, so do it!!

Just wanted to add that this tank has been up for 3 months and have been adding new corals about once a week. Still no deaths and everything is looking extremely healthy. I wouldn't have a damsel in my tank in a million years.

Many times I've woke up and said "I wish I hadn't gotten drunk last night", but I can never recall anyone ever waking up in the morning and saying "Gee, I wish I'd gotten drunk last night"

There is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting. If the nutrients are so high that you need a clean up crew, you need to be exporting those nutrients anyway. If it gets out of control, easier to take out the rock and scrub it, vacuum out the bottom, remove all the substrate if it's that radical without livestock than with fish and corals in there.

This morning I did a 1 gallon water change.

My plan going foward is as follows:

1) This weekend try to find a CUC locally so I don't have to pay shipping costs for such a small crew. If I can find em, I'll buy em and dump em in. If not... order online next week. Right now I'm planning on 4 snails (2 cerith and 2 trochus) and 2 crabs (prolly scarlet).

2) On Monday I'll be adding my Purigen and ChemiPure

3) Today I pay pal'd a guy for some Chaeto. It should be here by Wed. I'll add that to the fuge in the back as soon as it gets here next week.

4) After the CUC has been in there for about a week (and I'm fairly sure I won't have any major algae outbreaks) I'll go ahead and pick up some corals. My plan right now is just to get the nano polyp and mushroom pack from the Drs. I'm also DEFINITELY up for suggestions for some softies that won't get TOO big in my 8 gal. I don't want anything too high maintenance since I won't be here at night to attend to any nightly feedings.

I'm a big fan of frogspawn, candy cane, brains and other SPS.

This is weird....

Last week(Saturday) i started an 8 gallon cube at work. I started with 12lbs of cured LR, 1" of LS, and RO water from thier tanks. AND im having the same numbers as you.

I really hope i avoided a full cycle by doing this also.

Keep us posted =)

Archived