Cultivated Reef

gitting my first MH, yes

lil'wrasse cool

lil'wrasse cool

So i found a nice deal I'm gitting a giesemann 150w 14.5k bulb, PFO pendant plus PFO ballast for $200 about 2 months old cant wait I'll get it in a few weeks. I was going to down size my tank to a 10g but now I might just keep my 28g running.

• 4 weeks later...
lil'wrasse cool

yes,,,,,,,,, I got it today I have it a 12" above the tank. Is that a good hight 150W HO? heres a pic with the flash... with out the flash its just a white glow. I do love the shimmer but the temp went up about 3 degs

IMG_1391.jpg

HecticDialectics
yes,,,,,,,,, I got it today I have it a 12" above the tank. Is that a good hight 150W HO? heres a pic with the flash... with out the flash its just a white glow. I do love the shimmer but the temp went up about 3 degs

IMG_1391.jpg

8-10" would be better... 12" off the tank is a bit higher than people normally put it. You gotta get some fans for the heat.

lil'wrasse cool

what kinda fan should I get a little clip on one from the dollar store about the size of a cpu fan or what. I've tryed to look at other ppls tanks but most of the have a canopy over there tanks.

HecticDialectics
what kinda fan should I get a little clip on one from the dollar store about the size of a cpu fan or what. I've tryed to look at other ppls tanks but most of the have a canopy over there tanks.

that'll work. Just anything you can rig up to blow over the top of the tank will help drop temps quite a bit.

Nice lighting. Does it need to be lower? I would put it down as close to the tank the spectrum of the light will cover. Set up a small fan to run on hot days. Nice tank!

lil'wrasse cool

I guess I'll drop it abit when I get a fan I looked everyplace for one today, nothing I liked or even the size I wonted. Also should I take the glass canopy off. It doesn't cover the whole tank. but about 85% the highest the temp got was 81 deg. with the T5s it was about 78 deg. thanks everone

Secondgen

I would take the glass hood off as this will improve the gas exchange, and aid in getting rid of the heat. The only downside to taking the glass hood off is more evaporation.

lil'wrasse cool

Okey so I found a nice little fan from Canadian tire for 10 bucks. I also dropped the light another 3" making it 9" from the top of the tank. heres a couple pics

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

I also found a good deal on these hammer corals 8 heads with 1 branching. Just put them in the tank so they're not inflaited yet.

IMG_1394.jpg

only paid $30 CND

lil'wrasse cool

UPDATE....

so the fan was craping out on me and no real change in temp. I was about to take it back,,,,,,, but I took it apart and oiled it up. Now its blowing like crazy. Today the temp stayed at 78 deg the whole day. So I was wondering if I should drop the light more? its at 9"s.......... Can the light burn coral if to low? and if I get a new coral that was under T5 HOs should I screen out the light for a week or is it okey to put it in the tank? The hamer that I got did not fully inflait at all to day just a slight amount. Unless I'm thinking of a dif coral but hammer coral should almost look like a frogspawn right?

Archived