Top Shelf Aquatics

Er...Frogspawn has issues

SexyShrimp

Okay so, I got a head of frogspawn two weeks ago at a lfs for $10. I didn't really know if I should've gotten it because their frag tanks looked not that great. So anyways, my head of frogspawn had 3 head skeletons? I don't know how would you describe it but they were attached to it when I bought it and the only head with actually flesh and stuff on it opened up quite nicely after a few days. But since yesterday, one side of my head began to somewhat desinegrate but the other side looks perfectly normal and there really isn't any obvious physical damage done to it other than that. This is still my first tank and I have silver xenia and some mushrooms in there that is doing perfectly well so I don't think there is an issue with my tank and I got my water checked today and my params were normal and I've tried to take some pictures but they didn't come out that well (stupid 6 year old 2 megapixel camera). So, I can see a bit of the skeleton now but even though the other side that isn't rotting away hasn't fully opened, it looks alright. My mom suggested it was splitting heads and I don't know if thats the case but heres my terrible attempt to "illustrate" what my head looks like at the moment

- , o , -

\____ /

with the o being the mouth, it looks like as if they're splitting off into other directions but maybe this is how they're supposed to look like? I'm so confused.

EL CHUPACABRA

1st Post = :welcome: to nano-reef!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so, I got a head of frogspawn two weeks ago at a lfs for $10. I didn't really know if I should've gotten it because their frag tanks looked not that great. So anyways, my head of frogspawn had 3 head skeletons? I don't know how would you describe it but they were attached to it when I bought it and the only head with actually flesh and stuff on it opened up quite nicely after a few days. But since yesterday, one side of my head began to somewhat desinegrate but the other side looks perfectly normal and there really isn't any obvious physical damage done to it other than that. This is still my first tank and I have silver xenia and some mushrooms in there that is doing perfectly well so I don't think there is an issue with my tank and I got my water checked today and my params were normal and I've tried to take some pictures but they didn't come out that well (stupid 6 year old 2 megapixel camera). So, I can see a bit of the skeleton now but even though the other side that isn't rotting away hasn't fully opened, it looks alright. My mom suggested it was splitting heads and I don't know if thats the case but heres my terrible attempt to "illustrate" what my head looks like at the moment

- , o , -

\____ /

with the o being the mouth, it looks like as if they're splitting off into other directions but maybe this is how they're supposed to look like? I'm so confused.

There are a number of things that could be going on.

1. it could be growing a new mouth, then splitting into 2 heads/brances of frogspawn.

2. it could be desinigrating as you put it.

-could be because too much flow is on the frogspawn

-your corals are touching and a war between them is in progress

-something else could be bothering the coral (crab etc)

-not well acclimated (though you have had it for awhile and this probally is not the case)

-if the coral recently fell over, it can deteriorate very quickly.

-and finally sometimes these things just outright die on us and we never know why.

My advice would be to make sure that it is in a gentle flow area without direct flow, make positively sure that no other corals are rubbing up against it, give it some room on all sides, and try not to touch it. If you have some mysis shrimp you could blast a couple on it with a turkey baster right after the lights go out. Time will tell, only problems happen quickly in reefing, turbo charge that for nanos. Good luck and once again WELCOME!!!

Thanks guys. I've moved my xenia and other things so they can't be in contact with the frogspawn. As for crabs and stuff, I have 2 zebra hermits that might be the problem so I'll be on the lookout today. But thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice :) I'll keep you updated.

most people dont realize how powerful a frog spawn sting can be. Us humans rarely feel it. I have a friend that if he touches one his whole arm goes numb! LOL I had a frogspawn fall into a favia and kill the entire colony. They will kill sps if in contact and zoos too.

Archived