Pod Your Reef

34 G Cadlights Tank Project

Dr. Teeth

Dr teeth -

sorry for the late entrance. i got held up in NY

what kind of epoxy did you use? does it only work on dry pieces or will it work underwater too?

It works with wet or dry there Kemper.

Just got the tank filled at the new house. Post some picts later on once the water settles. Hey Bilge Rat & Don, how deep with water are your 4 chambers on the back refuge? Does the water level meet the level in the display? Just wondering.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dr. the water in the first chamber pretty much stays at the same as the 2nd because of the partition. the 3rd and last chambers there is about 7-8" of water.

i top off about 1 gallon every 4 days, how bout you guys?

It works with wet or dry there Kemper.

Just got the tank filled at the new house. Post some picts later on once the water settles. Hey Bilge Rat & Don, how deep with water are your 4 chambers on the back refuge? Does the water level meet the level in the display? Just wondering.

all my chambers in the back are even...unless i have floss in to clean water, then the pump side drops to about 2 inches below the display and becomes uneven with the other chambers in back (obviously due to being obstructed by filter floss)

they are even in back and about 1" below the main display level when the pump is running.

i add about 4 cups a day...more when im changing the aquascaping...as i seem to be good at getting water on every surface of the room the tank is in...

have fans/parts coming for light mod in fan...

dont u guys have temp probs with the MH????

...still tweeking aquascape...allllmost there...began thinking less was more u know...moved sum big chunkers to the fuge..

fts04-17-07-b.jpg

fts04-17-07-a.jpg

joshuah

In the 25 I have a Ranco Temp controller to switch the fan and heater on. I am thinking of getting a better controller b/c I have a 2 degree swing still. Never beyond the 2 degrees but still enough to make me want less.

BTW how are the Koralia's? which ones are they? and where did you order them everyone seems to be out of the Koralia 1.

In the 25 I have a Ranco Temp controller to switch the fan and heater on. I am thinking of getting a better controller b/c I have a 2 degree swing still. Never beyond the 2 degrees but still enough to make me want less.

BTW how are the Koralia's? which ones are they? and where did you order them everyone seems to be out of the Koralia 1.

got em off Doc Fos an smith, the 400gph.

i like em so far, easy to use, move and install (magnets and suction cups)

there flow is different than every other pump ive used, you get as much from the sides as you do from the front...like its going in all directions at once...good turbulence...well see if my future inhabitants like it.

ive actually had em create vortexes of water like mini underwater typhoons when i was aquascaping...kinda kool. Like most pumps i wish they were speed adjustable but

asside from that.

joshuah

i also have the stock 400 pushing behind the rock thru a y splitter

Hey people. Still no pics of the tank since I am still in the old house while the tank is across town in the new house. However, the chaeto has arrived so how about a nice boring pic of that. Here it is in all its phosphate absorbing beauty. I think someone asked about locating some. This came from Seaside Treasures online.

000_0002.jpg

Hey people. Still no pics of the tank since I am still in the old house while the tank is across town in the new house. However, the chaeto has arrived so how about a nice boring pic of that. Here it is in all its phosphate absorbing beauty. I think someone asked about locating some. This came from Seaside Treasures online.

000_0002.jpg

looks like with all that chaeto you wont have room for anything else!!

hmmm a chaeto only tank

definately original

r u gonna use all of it?

i have a wad about the size of my palm in the back of mine

or doth mine eyes decieve me and its less than it looks?

where u two at anyhow...

don?

teeth?

wheres the pics and updates with yer tanks aye?

u guys goin skimmerless?

i have a tunze 9002 but have'nt had to even turn it on yet.

ahhh yes today is my final final at skool

so for the next 10 days i can devote all my time to staring at the tank till summer semester begins the torture all over again

if params continue to be stable,..goin fer a small clean up crew this weekend

snails maybe a shrimp

joshuah

Speaking of snails, my tank is going up at a snails pace. Probably a good thing not to rush anything, but I will be out of town for a week. I did manage to get it up and running, so it should begin the cycling process while I am away. Hold down the thread while I am away people.

savethereef

wow your tank is going to look nice. Gona follow this i can decide between this tank the new jbj or red sea max. I love the look of this tank but i hate the escaping light. I love the RMS but no MH. I like the new nano cube it has MH but its to small i want 34g+ Arggg so hard to decide. I guess i could just get the RSM and mod it to a HQI i just gota ask secondbreath somethings :) any who you tank is gona look nice

have you ever used a seio? i was just wonderin how these compare to seio's seeing that these seem to put less wattage and the magnet seems like a bonus too and theyre cheaper

was thinking of 2 40mm case fans pulling in air and pushing out the other side. they will fit nicely between the t5 ends and the removed side panel and glass plate.

I have been seriously the CADLights 34g, but have been confused about the lighting. In your listing of the specs, you state that the T5's are over the refuge but from your photo, it looks like they straddle the MH?

I have been seriously the CADLights 34g, but have been confused about the lighting. In your listing of the specs, you state that the T5's are over the refuge but from your photo, it looks like they straddle the MH?

yes

T5's in main light and fuge, just diff sizes;

[/u]Main light-

2- single bulb T5 24’ W/B 10,000k (in main light strip with MH)

1- 150w 20,000k HQI (MH)

2- DFS lunar light modules each “ consumes less than 1 watt of power”---mod---

2- Spire 40x40x20mm case fans, current A 0.14 A ---mod---

Fuge Light-

2- single bulb T5’ HE 14w 10,000k (fuge)

4” cooling fan-

1- 4" fan 120Vac 60Hz 0.3A (to cool MH ballast box) ---mod---

1-mj900 8.5 Watts (same strip untimed/continuous power plug)

*mj900 runs continuously

*All of the T5’s (main light and fuge) are on from 7am-7pm

*Everything else on this strip is timed to come on simultaneously from 10am-6pm

this is copied from another post i made regarding total wattage and poppin breakers.

its a gorgeous tank just working out the bugs is all!!

check out my posts, donreefers and teeths we are the only 3 that have them...atleast the only 3 that have sounded off here anyway.

joshuah

For the DFS Lunar lights; did you use one light and one link light?

yup

just broke down main light placed em

drilled 4 small holes for the screws

and 3 bigger ones for the wires

ran it in the space with all the other wires

between the rflector and the casing

putting back together was a BEEE-I-ATCH!!!

and yet

here am again

with ANOTHER

aquascape pic

1 of the 5 aquascapes was for fun

the other 4 have been

out of necessity

moving tank, reinforcing stand,

reinforcing stand again, waterproofing new reinforced stand top

i rent in an....."historical" house so the floors are jacked as is the

floor decking and floor joists...house has a dirt foundation

if that tells ya anything....ill prob move next x-mas...

i made a stand out of a small oak desk and small oak table

as i wanted alot of storage....anyway

im bummed because i know i have die off each time with each flippin

move of LR/LS from tanks to tubs and vice versa. I started out with

a ton of visible LS/LR critters...stars, worms, pods...lots of things i couldnt id....with each move there was die off floating in top of tank and tub...ill wait a while but im thinking i may have to buy a SB kit now...

heres another gratuitous fts of latest (hopefully last for awhile) aquascape

with and without flash...

joshuah

fts.jpg

fts-1.jpg

Dr. Teeth
DONREEFER...

TEETH...

WHERE YA AT????

whats the latest with yer tanks???????????

Sorry. Been of getting hitched in Hawaii for the past week. Left my tank cycling while I was away, but when I got home and checked my levels they were way off. Gonna try and get things squared away with the move and then start back to getting this tank ready for some life. Post pics soon.

bilge rat
Sorry. Been of getting hitched in Hawaii for the past week. Left my tank cycling while I was away, but when I got home and checked my levels they were way off. Gonna try and get things squared away with the move and then start back to getting this tank ready for some life. Post pics soon.

congrats

bring home any corals...

i can HOLD them for you while yer tank cycles..

Dr. Teeth

Here is a look at the levels I was talking about after a week up and running. This really is what I expected since I didn't have any substrate from an established tank and not to mention, my live rock hasn't been "LIVE" in over a year.

Levels after one week old.

NITRATE-20

NITRITE- 0.3

PHOSPHATE- .75

PH-Off the charts on the high end. (color was not on the scale.)

AMMONIA- 0.3

CALCIUM- 350 ppm

It's coming down already. I want a clean-up crew so bad I'm wetting the bed again!!! Hahahahaha That pic is coming I promise

snake plissken

hey teeth, let me know when you are ready to go clean up crew shopping

the snake

bilge rat
Here is a look at the levels I was talking about after a week up and running. This really is what I expected since I didn't have any substrate from an established tank and not to mention, my live rock hasn't been "LIVE" in over a year.

Levels after one week old.

NITRATE-20

NITRITE- 0.3

PHOSPHATE- .75

PH-Off the charts on the high end. (color was not on the scale.)

AMMONIA- 0.3

CALCIUM- 350 ppm

It's coming down already. I want a clean-up crew so bad I'm wetting the bed again!!! Hahahahaha That pic is coming I promise

watch yer temps let me know if they spike like mine have.

donreefer

hey wassup bilge, i have been visiting family in Japan for two weeks with my family. i left my tank to be taken care of by my best friend. so far so good and from what she tells me everything is ok. i hope i dont go back and find otherwise or else someone's gettin a whooping.

your tank looks great and i hope you are staying with this aquascaping finally hahaha jk.

i cant believe that i can check on NR.com so easily over here in Japan. the reefs here are pretty amazing! lost of very rare and beautiful reefs displays here. i took some pics but i will need to re-size them when i get back before i can post them up.

gonna post up some updates once i get back!

DONREEFER...

TEETH...

WHERE YA AT????

whats the latest with yer tanks???????????

in a word! They arent worth the money...had one in mg 60 gal reef...about a month later just stopped working... replaced it with another seio... had to replace that one about 6 weeks later... stick with maxi-jet... just my opinion..

Archived