inTank Media Baskets

Live Rock Question(s)

dasstheboss

dasstheboss

i am setting up a 29G soon and would like to know what the difference is between different types of live rock.. they differ in prices by a lot..

the caribbean LR seems so much cheaper than Lalo Live Rock.. what is the reason for this?

Also, does more expensive Lr mean that its "better" in terms of life and filtration, aquascaping?

In your opinion which type of Lr is the best in terms of aquascaping the 29G, filtration, and looks.. the looks and scaping would be the most important sincei have a good filter.. what type of Lr should i go with?

go with what looks good to you

Price difference is mostly supply and demand, and shipping cost.

Some has more life, but a bunch of that life dies during cycle anyway.

I say again. There is no WRONG way to mix rock. Do what looks good to you. that is part of the art of this hobby.

dsoz :)

The Propagator

Go with the lightest and most visibly porus peices you can find.

The more porus the rock the less rock you have to use.

The main differences in LR is location where they are collected and density of the rock. ( Unless your buying gulf rock forget about life after the cycle. There wont be much save for coraline)

Arkayne Reefer

From my months of lurking on this site this is what I have found to be generally true. Just because it is more expensive doesnt make it better, but remember you do usually get what you pay for. The grade of the live rock (Premium, ultra premium, ect...) is telling you the amount of life/coraline algae on the rock. The type of rock (figi, tonga, carribean, ect...) tells you the type of rock. For example tonga is usually a slightly denser rock with a branch shape, while figi is a lighter more porous rock, with lots of space for water to flow through. And remember the denser the rock the more you have to use to get the same amount of filtration from a lighter more porous rock. I prefer figi, it is fairly light and porous, and I have found it easier to aquascape with, but feel free to mix and match any forms of rock and see what you like the looks of, or find works better for you. I hope that helps you some. And if anyone sees anything I have left out or stated something wrong please let me know.

dasstheboss

I'm thinking of going with the carribbean live rock from LiveAquaria.com.. it seems cheap and looks pretty good.. with the 40lb box.. would it be enough or too much for a 29G tank?i am going to add corals on there so wouldnt like any bad hitckhikers staying thru the cycle.

i went with the dr.fosters and smith nano cube package its a 16 pound bag of softball size rocks i picked up 2 of these packages mostly so i could set up my 29g biocube and have some extra for my 10g Quarantine/ tank in my room about 3-5 pounds think (pluss 5 pounds and fake castle already in tank) i think this is best for first starting out. the diffrent rocks give their unique design and over-all look of the aquarium, they were dry shiped and stank a little think there could of been more water in the bags lil dry all though the rock seems to be curing rather quickley. had a great variety of growth on them.

forty pounds hard to tell not sure how dense that is. been told that carribbean rock is a little heaver ( more dense = more weight per rock = smaller the rock) if you spend money on only 3 things for your tank it should be 1.the tank 2.the rock 3. the lighting. the other rock ( from dr.foster and smith) has much more life and much better of some hitch hickers.

if you spend money on only 3 things for your tank it should be 1.the tank 2.the rock 3. the lighting. the other rock ( from dr.foster and smith) has much more life and much better of some hitch hickers.

IMO, The order is backwards. #1 should be LIGHTS. You can't keep anything "good" alive without the highest quality lights you can afford.

#2 Rock. Get some rock in the tank. It can always be colonized by other stuff you add later.

#3 Filters. Without filtration, your animals will die

#4 tank. Anything that will hold water will do. It may not look pretty, but it will keep animals alive.

dsoz

Scott Riemer
#2 Rock. Get some rock in the tank. It can always be colonized by other stuff you add later.

#3 Filters. Without filtration, your animals will die

dsoz

Live rock IS the filter.

Scott Riemer
What Is The Purpose of Live Rock?

Live rock becomes the main biological nitrification base or biological filter of a saltwater aquarium, while at the same time enhances the look of the aquarium and provides shelter for the inhabitants. To better understand what purpose live rock serves in an aquarium, Delbeek explains it like this:

"The use of live rock immediately introduces into the aquarium numerous algae, bacteria and small invertebrates all of which contribute to the overall quality of the aquarium water. Live rock has just as much, if not more, surface area for bacteria than a trickle filter. Since live rock in the aquarium contains various types of bacteria, algae and corals, waste products such as ammonia, nitrate and phosphate can have a number of fates. Ammonia, nitrate and phosphate are readily assimilated by algae and photosynthetic corals growing on and in the rock. Ammonia can also be quickly converted into nitrate by the bacteria on and in the rock. This nitrate can be either absorbed by the algae and corals, or it can be denitrified by bacteria in close proximity to the nitrate producing bacteria."

LINK to Source Article

HecticDialectics

On a more serious note, ditto to scott riemer. Rock is by far the primary filtration. LR is an important element of your tank. You don't want to skimp out of $50 just to save a little here.

Dunno if its too late, but I'd suggest against getting Caribbean LR... it's cheaper because it's not very good LR at all. You'd be better off ordering some decent fiji/tonga LR from premium aquatics. Might cost a little more but you'll be starting off with a better base.

dasstheboss

thanks guys.. fortunately i didnt buy the carib live rock yet.. os i got time to change decisions.. if i were to buy the fiji premium rock.. how many lbs. would i need to cover the whole back of my 40L to create a really good aquascape while having swimming space... my main concern with the live rock is looks.. any hitckhikers prlly wotn make it thru the ship anyways right? so if i went with 60lbs. of fiji premium rock.. is this enough, too little or too much? pls. telll me thanks in advance

Archived