SaltCritters.com

Is lighting sufficient?

nikecivic

I have a 12G NanoCube Dx with (2) 24 Watt 10K bulbs. My tank has been cycling for 3 weeks with LR and I have 2 peppermint shrimp and turbo snails. I plan on introducing an anemone this week and a pair of Ostellaris Clowns the week after. I want to start adding frags to the tank and will I need to upgrade my lighting of is 48W 10K sufficient? I think there a few upgrades availabe at nanocustoms or nanotuners.

Mike A. B)

RayWhisperer

The lighting isn't enough for an anemone. Besides, nems are very sensitive. Not to be kept in a newly established tank. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you the lecture. Suffice it to say, a nem isn't for noobs. No offense meant.

Thanks for the comments! I've been getting alot of help from my local MAS club and I was recommended to introduce the nem first. What should I upgrade my lights to?

RayWhisperer

That would depend on the type of anemone.

Really though, a 12 gallon NC isn't a good candidate for an anemone tank, no matter what kind of lighting. Don't get me wrong, it can be done. I myself have one set up with a nem. It's just alot more work than it's worth IMO. You'd have to modify the lighting and filtration, then you'll have to do weekly water changes of larger than usual volumes. (I'm doing 30 to 40% weekly) Plus, I would say, you should be waiting atleast 4 or 5 months before introducing an anemone.

crazinezz978
Thanks for the comments! I've been getting alot of help from my local MAS club and I was recommended to introduce the nem first. What should I upgrade my lights to?

id say atleast 70w Metal Halide, but yea, not recommended in a 12g.

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

You may want to upgrade the lighting for the frogspawn and other LPS. They are best kept under medium lighting.

Archived