Cultivated Reef

Chalkboard wrasse or red coris wrasse, and flame hawk

joel sandoman

joel sandoman

i have a royal gramma, maroon clown, and a med cleaner shrimp in my 20g. i wanna take the gramma out and put him in my 12g NC. I want to add one of the above wrasses and a flame hawkfish. All compatible? or will the hawk eat the shrimp no matter the size?

my flame hawk hasnt touched my cleaner.... yet....... but he wont be in my tank to much longer, ever since i got my hawk the cleaner shrimp has been hiding behind the rocks most of the time, comes out at night thats about it..

having trouble findin what a chalkboard wrasse...could it be a checkerboard wrasse by any chance? either way i think they might both get a bit large for a 20.

A 20 gallon is way, way, way too small for a red coris wrasse. They get extremely large and are not reef safe (bye bye shrimp!) I have seen minimum recommended tank sizes from 100-150 gallons.

I've never heard of a chalkboard wrasse so can't comment on that one.

Some of the fairy and flasher wrasses are absolutely gorgeous, are smaller and are more reef compatible.

I think flame hawks and shrimp are very hit and miss, with more misses than hits. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

joel sandoman

thanks for everyone's input. i guess i'll put the flame hawk on hold while i try to figure out what type of wrasse i want that would be right for my size tank.

Archived