Pod Your Reef

10g with sump

lil'wrasse cool

lil'wrasse cool

Okey so I was planing to use a over flow but I dont understand how a sypon would work with a power outage. So I'm going to see if I can get the upper part of my tank drilled and add a surface scimmer type box (I like the idea of a tape case) but that might be to small. The sump will be a 20g that I can use for a 50g after. My questions are can a over flow work after a loss of power? what size pump would I need for about 4' of piping? Can I get a bigger pump that can be used for a bigger tank after and just adjust the flow? Should I get the scimmer first before I build my sump? And does anyone use bio balls anymore?

distantfire

Yes a overflow can work after a power loss just fine. I don't mess around with syphon's but if that's what you have. Drilling a small hole close to the top of the U tube helps prevent syphon breaks.

There is a head loss calculator on the home page of reefcentral.com Look on the lower left side of the page. It's a very handy calculator for buying the pumps you need. Your better off in the long run not buying a bigger pump and adjusting the flow on it. Doing that shortens the life of the pump because your restricting the flow. It doe's make it easier to build the sump if you have the skimmer first. But as long as you know the dimensions of the skimmer you'll be fine without it. I never use bioballs but I'm sure there are some people that do.

lil'wrasse cool

thanks alot one more question with the larger sump will I be able to keep my fish or will I still have to down size to 2 fish? they get along so well. :o

distantfire

Having the extra 20gals of water volume will diffently help. But I'd watch the bioload that your fish are adding to the tank. And then cut back on the amount of fish you have in the tank after checking that.

Good luck with your 50gal. I worked on my friends 120gal. long last weekend. And that tank will be ok for a few fish. But I still think he should have bought a bigger tank.

Are you thinking about using a hang-on-the-back overflow or a drilled one?

An easy way to prevent a siphon in a power outage is to have your return above the water level.

lil'wrasse cool

I think I'm going to get it drilled unless its (tempered?) top corner or middle have it boxed in. I say top becuse if I drill the bottom it will take more room out of the tank having the wall (10g) ummm. the box being like a over flow box in the tank with little slits for water to drain into then down the pipe. but I dont realy care to tell you the truth. If i go over flow can I throw it on a bigger tank ? then there is the price if my fish guy could drill it for say around $5 then that would be great compaired to 40-60ish bucks for the over flow.(non dyi) what would you guys do I want to have a sump not a modded AQ plus I got everthing for the 10g when I did my upgrade 20-28g I put almost every thing into the temp 10g and it looked crazy I loved it. I just need the best filtation with the added water vol. I dont know if 10g would be a pico reef but thats what I want for now I want to learn about cal. drip plus water top offs its kinda hard to do unless you got a big canopy above your tank to hide all the stuff. I am open to other ideas if you guys got something I have not thought of. I think I'm going sandless also I cant remember what its called but the black stuff that some people use, thats still up in the air though. This will not be happening for about a month but I do want to build my sump so I'm going to go look at skimmers this weekend to see what size I will get so it will fit nice. I dont know if I will use the skimmer on the the 10g though, but when I up grade it will be ready :) thanks for reading and helping

No, drilling it is a much better idea. Those HOB overflows look terrible IMO, drilling it gives a much cleaner look.

As far as going bare bottom, you're referring to what people call Starboard, which is really just a fancy word for cutting board. When I had my 55 gallon bare-bottom setup I ordered through http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/ They come in all colors and its easy to cut to size.

lil'wrasse cool

ya I didnt want to say cuting board but thats it. I'd realy like a glass bottom but dont want to crack any thing maybe add another layer of glass hmmmm?

you can just go to lowes or HD and get a sheet of acrylic and put that on the bottom... that would add extra support... by the way i love your name lil wrasse cool=lil raskle

Archived