Top Shelf Aquatics

My New biocube 29 set up

JCBioCube29

JCBioCube29

I am new to this forum i would like to thanks everyone for their post. :)

I have a BioCube 29. this is my set up. I have had it for 3 weeks with only water.

1) ordered from nanotuners the lighting upgrade to 144watts

2) I trimed the plastic on the top where the water flows from chamber one to chamber two. (what a difference in water movement it toke away any film i had on the surface of the water.) I also place the filter at an angle to allow even more flow.

3) kept the bioballs but i place filter floss and polishing pad over the bioballs.

4) i added a powersweep power head for wave making.

5) added a UV in chamber one. blocked the UV light with filter pads.

5) my big mistake i bought a NANO FISSION PROTIEN SKIMMER (should say a bubble maker) i tried every possible way all it did was make bubble and give me some yellow pee. it is not worth the time money and trouble.

I have decide not to use a protein skimmer of any kind not worth the trouble and the bubble issues they have. I rather do a 5 gallon water change weekly. I get Natural sea water at .50 a gallon at my LFS.

OR

Should i get the saphire http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=358 protein skimmer. Are skimmers realy a neccesity of a reef tank.

I am new to this forum i would like to thanks everyone for their post. :)

I have a BioCube 29. this is my set up. I have had it for 3 weeks with only water.

1) ordered from nanotuners the lighting upgrade to 144watts

2) I trimed the plastic on the top where the water flows from chamber one to chamber two. (what a difference in water movement it toke away any film i had on the surface of the water.) I also place the filter at an angle to allow even more flow.

3) kept the bioballs but i place filter floss and polishing pad over the bioballs.

4) i added a powersweep power head for wave making.

5) added a UV in chamber one. blocked the UV light with filter pads.

5) my big mistake i bought a NANO FISSION PROTIEN SKIMMER (should say a bubble maker) i tried every possible way all it did was make bubble and give me some yellow pee. it is not worth the time money and trouble.

I have decide not to use a protein skimmer of any kind not worth the trouble and the bubble issues they have. I rather do a 5 gallon water change weekly. I get Natural sea water at .50 a gallon at my LFS.

OR

Should i get the saphire http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=358 protein skimmer. Are skimmers realy a neccesity of a reef tank.

There are several people in this forum that go without skimmers in their nanos.

I do not run protein skimmer on my 24g and rely on 5 gallon weekly changes.

I run a Safire Protein Skimmer on mine. I use bags of Chemi-pure and seagel to do mechanical filtration for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. The difference is, I do a water change every 3 months and replace the mechanical filtration.

JCBioCube29

Thanks for the responces. I am definately not using a skimmer. I will do my water changes. I am also going to use bags Chemi-pure in my set up. You have to love this never ending battle between ( to use a protein skimer or not).

I should be getting my new lights from nanotuners today i will try to install them this weekend. once done i will post before and after pictures.

Donovan: I saw the pictures of you tank it looks inceadible i hope mine will look like that one day.

Archived