Pod Your Reef

Thoughts on Coraline

RBuddha

I know that coraline growth is good because it can coat your rocks and tank and keep nuisance algaes from growing on it. But for all the sps keepers out there just think how much bigger your colonies would be without coraline stealing all your CA.

I know that coraline growth is good because it can coat your rocks and tank and keep nuisance algaes from growing on it. But for all the sps keepers out there just think how much bigger your colonies would be without coraline stealing all your CA.

I don't actually think this is too much of a problem. Im going to venture to say that there's more than enough necessary ions int he water to facilitate growth of the sps corals.

However, a bigger problem might be coralline clogging the pores of the lr, and hindering its filtering abilities.

I think it's okay though. Man there are some beautiful strains of coralline out there. You have no idea. Have you ever seen the red, plating coralline? grrrrrr (my pants are now soiled just thinking about it.)

the red plating coralline? nah, blane perun used to sell it. I think turtlewax might, you might wanna shoot him a pm.

I know he has a link to the purple plating variety as well. I tried looking on thesea.org for you but it's been long gone. I'll see if I can dig something up. give it a few days.

ps

have you noticed that coralline establishes faster on glass?

I haven't been able to find the spiraling kind I mentioned, but here are a few examples of the coralline you rarely see. The first one I saw a lot of in la jolla actually.

Coralline-algae.jpg

IMG19.JPG

officinalis.jpg

Bossiella.sized.jpg

You might be thinking, hey nippy! those all seem to be cold or temperate water species. But you gotta take my word for it that similar species also grow in our tropical reefs

salty critter has coraline algae formations growing off the sides of their tanks, its pretty awesome looking and i would say that the coraline is approaching 1/8" thick in some areas

SuperN...is this the stuff you're talking about?? This is an older piece in my Nano that's gotten beaten up lately.

IMG_3646.jpg

SeeDemTails

The stuff I have is very similar in apperance....you would think it is very hard, but the stuff in my tank is rather flexible.

Oooh trumph, that is gorgeous!

Another thing to remember about coraline: get a nice thick layer on your LR, and many kinds of nuisance algae won't grow on it.

Edit: Doh! You mentioned that already.

coldshutter

I have a rock with tons of red plate. Its started to grow little long seaweed looking things same color as the corline.. Is plant, or corline growth?

Wow i would love to get some branching coralline algae on my hands! Here are some pics of my coralline algae from my 4g...

DSC02012.jpg

DSC02077.JPG

DSC02095.JPG

Just thought you guys woud like to see!

great pics!

i've noticed slower coralline growth in my tank since I've added stony corals (a couple montipora frags and a small birdnest colony). it seems they "outcompete" the coraline for calcium, but it's hard to make generalizations like that.

Interesting pictures, but keep in mind that coralline algae can grow so rapidly and encrust stuff so quickly, some of these "growth forms" may be other things that have just been overgrown. For instance, the second and third pictures posted by Supernip look like Halimeda algae that's been overgrown. I have some in my tank that the coralline is currently overgrowing, so I'm sure it happens in the wild as well. And, when you think about it, the first pic is more reminiscent of foraminiferan growth to me... Anyway, just keep that in mind. Awesome pics, by the way. :)

-Dan

i love that awesome red coraline that trumph posted, how about a little frag of that so i can start growing it out in my 125?

I'm not home now so can't post pics but I've got some awesome colored red corraline that has grown over the base of my gorgonians and is choking off some palythoa's. It's pretty but I'm beginning to not like it. I've been peeling it off the gorgs and tossing it in the refugium.

Recently I bought a Tubastrea that has one polyp nearly overgrown with some hard corraline. I pried it off and the underlying flesh of the polyp was rotten , giving me the impression that the algae had grown over the poylp pretty rapidly.

Yikes! KILLER CORRALINE!

Archived