Top Shelf Aquatics

Sump/Fuge design

S.I.C.

This is my first attempt at designing a sump/fuge. Some of the dimensions are not exact at this point. I can go higher as needed from your feedback. I need to work out the media trays and skimmer depth once I get the skimmer in hand.

What do you think? Good, bad or indifferent I want to hear it all.

Project1.jpg

Attachment for clear viewing.

Thanks!

Project_1.pdf

This is my first attempt at designing a sump/fuge. Some of the dimensions are not exact at this point. I can go higher as needed from your feedback. I need to work out the media trays and skimmer depth once I get the skimmer in hand.

What do you think? Good, bad or indifferent I want to hear it all.

Project1.jpg

Attachment for clear viewing.

Thanks!

39 views and no comments.

Anybody...?

I went bad to the drawing board and came up with this and is more complete.

The water enters the media tray flows down over the LR and up the skimmer area and then overflows into the fuge. I did not use a baffle between the skimmer area and the fuge, because I want to maximixe the fuge media area and am working with tight constraints. Any reasons why this is an absolute MUST? Then the water flows to the sump area and pumps out.

I am thinking about lowering the height of the fuge. Seems a little tall, what do you think?

I attached the file because some of the lines did not come out right when I used photobucket.

THING_REV_1.pdf

I think I am just a retard because I still don't get it.

I highly doubt it, I am sure its me :D

I'll post pics when it's operational.

Anybody else before I pull the trigger?

hmmm.

I get it but had a questions, won't bubbles be a problem from the skimmer to the refugium chamber....and the refugium is suppose to be low flow. The way you have it set up, the refugium would be receiving whatever the flow of your downpipes. I guess this wouldn't be a problem if your uptake pump wasn't that strong.

hmmm.

I get it but had a questions, won't bubbles be a problem from the skimmer to the refugium chamber....and the refugium is suppose to be low flow. The way you have it set up, the refugium would be receiving whatever the flow of your downpipes. I guess this wouldn't be a problem if your uptake pump wasn't that strong.

I will be using a Lifereef pre-filter box that is adjustable from 0-700 GPH, and utilize a ball valve with a low flow return pump. The skimmer is a Tunze skimmer 9010 that has a bubble trap and can implement other solutions if bubbles are persistent.

The fuge will hold approx 6 gallons, sump will be about 2 gallons and the media/skimmer area is about 3 gallons totaling 10-11 gallons depending on the amount of live rock utilized.

Do I want to calc the flow 5 times per hour using the 6 gallons for the fuge or 11 gallons for the entire water volume? I have read I should be between 3-8 GPH. Any thoughts on the amount of flow?

Thanks!

I will be using a Lifereef pre-filter box that is adjustable from 0-700 GPH, and utilize a ball valve with a low flow return pump. The skimmer is a Tunze skimmer 9010 that has a bubble trap and can implement other solutions if bubbles are persistent.

The fuge will hold approx 6 gallons, sump will be about 2 gallons and the media/skimmer area is about 3 gallons totaling 10-11 gallons depending on the amount of live rock utilized.

Do I want to calc the flow 5 times per hour using the 6 gallons for the fuge or 11 gallons for the entire water volume? I have read I should be between 3-8 GPH. Any thoughts on the amount of flow?

Thanks!

With your design you want to calculate the amount of flow to the fuge not the whole system. Have you though about just having a split downpipe with a ball valve going independently to a fuge that dumps into your skimmer chamber? This would change your design a bit but the benefit would be that you could have a more powerful return pump and less powerheads up top taking up display tank space.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have come down to the final design.

After Juin21's helpful feedback there will be two inputs for the sump. The first input will be directed to the media chamber then flow down over the live rock and into/around the skimmer then overflow into the sump/return. The second input will be directed into the fuge and then overflow into sump/return.

Both will be controlled ball valves, a good flow for the LR/skimmer and a nice gentle flow for the fuge.

The exterior walls will be clear plexi and the interior walls black. I feel that I only need the fresh water top off to be black for algae purposes but hey I am still learning this stuff and am really not sure.

Thanks!!

Project_1.pdf

Looks nice but.......if i can add one more suggestion, especially since your doing this custom and all ;). Why not flipflop the skimmer chamber where the media tray is. Extend the skimmer chamber so that the refugium empties into the skimmer chamber. This will remove any waste the refugium lets flow by. Then have the skimmer chamber overflow into the sump/return chamber. This would also help with keeping bubbles to a minimum if you place your return on the far side of the sump, especially if you have alot of flow going on. Even though your skimmer won't release bubbles, the drop from the skimmer chamber to the sump will make some micro bubbles.

Hmmm....also your refugium chamber if you decide to go the route your going now should be a bit higher then your skimmer chamber, this will allow you to raise the amount of water in your skimmer chamber to reduce bubbles if that becomes an issue from the drop. This is especially the case because it seems as if your return is very close to where the water drops in. I know i'm beating the bush with this bubbles stuff, but bubbles in your main tank suck!

Archived