Coral Vue Hydros

Should I expect discount from LFS?

thabo

I have just been to one of my LFS- there are 2 near me. I cant say I am a regular there but they do know my face and say hi. I have spent about 300 dollars with them in the past year. Today I went to buy some soft corals and asked if he could give me some discount if I bought 4 pieces- that would have been at least 150 dollars. All I got was a flat refusal. All I was looking for was a token discount of maybe 10 dollars. Was I in the wrong???

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$300 is nothing, maybe if you are spending $300 at once. I was actually talking about this with someone at one of my shops and his point was bang on. He said I think I should get a deal because i'm spending $300 but then this other guy is spending $3000 so obviously the 300 costumer isn't that big of a deal. That being said the shop is very fair and will work something out with you, but you have to consider things like that and if the prices are already fair.

$300 is nothing, maybe if you are spending $300 at once. I was actually talking about this with someone at one of my shops and his point was bang on. He said I think I should get a deal because i'm spending $300 but then this other guy is spending $3000 so obviously the 300 costumer isn't that big of a deal. That being said the shop is very fair and will work something out with you, but you have to consider things like that and if the prices are already fair.

That is exactly my point- it is about building up a relationship with your customers. It is not really about the money but just a token gesture. It just gives the regular customer a motivation to return. I now feel that I would rather go to the other shop or just get it on the web. What does not count in this owners favour is that he already has a local reputation of being lazy and just sitting behind the counter surfing the web and showing little interest in his customers.

If you ask for a discount and they give it, you will then go in expecting the same discount every time. The LFS does not want you to think this. If you go in, there are four corals you like that come to $162 and you try, "Those four corals would look great in my tank - $150 for them all?" you might get somewhere. Most stores that aren't national chains (and have their hand tied because of this) will offer a discount off list price on most things (at least in the UK). It's all about how you present the discounted price, don't ask for too much and don't get them thinking they are setting a precedent for ever.. . Never ask for a "discount", always offer a price.

Timing can help.. . end of the month, on a quiet mid-week day when sales targets and bonuses are receding over the horizon (or the shop rent or house mortgage are rapidly approaching) they are probably keener to get that sale.

no one was in the wrong. You asked for a discount and they said no. are you seriously going to shop elsewhere because he wouldnt give you a discount? Maybe you were expecting a little too much from them. Im not 100% sure but i dont think LFS make loads of money on live stock. Seems like most LFS are just getting by. I believe with most small businesses discounts should be awarded and not asked for.

Next time you go to taget they will give you a discount if you buy a 4 pack of paper products. say paper towels, tissues, napkins and toilet paper. I mean after all, you could just go to walmart or k mart right?

;-)

no one was in the wrong. You asked for a discount and they said no. are you seriously going to shop elsewhere because he wouldnt give you a discount? Maybe you were expecting a little too much from them. Im not 100% sure but i dont think LFS make loads of money on live stock. Seems like most LFS are just getting by. I believe with most small businesses discounts should be awarded and not asked for.

Most LFS' are lucky if they turn a profit, especially the good ones that quarantine all their fish.

travisurfer

My lfs will occasionally give me a free frag or something but I would never ask for a discount. They run on a lot of overhead, so despite marking corals up 4 times their value, they still struggle to get things paid. When they have any kind of competition whatsoever, they suffer.

I work at a LFS--- I get this question 5 times a day. If I gave a discount to them, even though I know their name and all, think about how much money we'd loose.

Corals have very little mark up in them anyway. And remember you might not be talking to someone whoes even authorized to give you a discount. I can't give a discount beyond our standard promos but if I have a returning customer who isnt using them I will tell them to bring in our ValuePak Coupons. Discount without putting me in hot water.

BTW I was a customer at the store I now work at and NEVER got a discount.

You have power with your money. If people don't treat you the way you want to be treated go somewhere else with your money. I would keep trying to get a better deal. You may have to show your face more. If they keep saying no--then that's when you move on because they don't value long-term patronage.

I like to stop by the LFS and buy frozen mysis. Then I tell the livestock manager about the hundreds of corals in my basement that I bought online. I wonder if his kid could have gotten some new clothes or food with the money I have spent elsewhere!!! :)

You have a business to run too---it's called your life. I am continually treated rudely--and I am spending $300-$500 at a time. But we NEED the goods and usually just suck it up and spend.

Just keep looking around--your options are limitless. Trade here with peeps!!!Don't stay confined to the LFS!!!!!

Livestock is sold with a 5-10 time mark up at LFS. They lose on labor, utilities, rent, poor management and dry goods---THEY MAKE IT UP ON LIVESTOCK--THE BASTARDS. :)

Livestock is sold with a 5-10 time mark up at LFS. They lose on labor, utilities, rent, poor management and dry goods---THEY MAKE IT UP ON LIVESTOCK--THE BASTARDS. :)

That is very generalized, not always like that!

Just be real talkative with the workers and managers. I seem to get a decent discount and can barter prices at all the LFS I go to around here.

LFS tend to lose money on the livestock, not make it. Every piece of livestock they have costs money to maintain. Water, food, electricity, associates to clean the tanks and scoop the fish/corals. Everytime they get a shipment in and lose a piece of livestock, they have to eat that cost. The money is made in the drygoods section. It doesnt cost any money to put a book or a filter or an aquarium on a shelf, except the rent of course! Also from a stocking standpoint, it is easier to make money on the freshwater side. You can put 20 guppies in a 20 long. You can utilize your space much better and get a better return since you are also buying in bulk. Howmany sohal tangs can you put in a 20L? And how many can you put in that 120 since they can't go into a 20L?

There are 2 good fish stores and 1 so-so store near me. The philly area is kind of lucky that way. But for me half the fun is hitting the different stores and finding the good deal. Sometimes that deal is better found online, sometimes(believe it or not) at the LFS. The store i worked at gave certain customers a 10% discount on everything, no questions asked, but they were also dropping serious$$$$$.

Sorry for ranting, i'll go back to work now!

reefman5511

I have a lfs that gave me a discount on a $12.00 frag & I didn't ask for it! I'm more inclined to go back to him even without him giving me further discounts. The guy wants my business & is willing to go the extra mile for it. It doesn't hurt asking for a discount if you're paying with cash. The lfs may be willing to do it because they won't get hit with the 4-5% charge that the credit card company hits them with.

OK--If you buy zoanthids for $10 and sell them for $40--that's a good return on your cash.

I used to work at a LFS--and I used to buy "with" them recently. I saw the price sheets.

Dry goods can be bought online everywhere for less than the LFS so that part is nearly "written off" as a money maker. How many dusty old Prizm skimmers do you see at the stores??? They ain't selling---and the LFS ain't bringing new and advanced dry goods into the stores.

Dogs--buy em for $200 and sell em for $1000+

Birds-- Buy em for $5 and sell them for $50.

Lizards, snakes-- buy em for $10 sell them for $100.

Bad management is what kills livestock. How do you hire only people who care??? You can't.

I can't wait until Walmart opens a pet store!!!!!

I drive over an hour to go to my favorite LFS. I have not recieved any discounts, however, they know mw well enough, and I have spent enough $$ to call them, and ask for a particular fish/coral, and they will hold it til the weekend, no $$ down, for me.

The customer service is #1 and the last time I was in there, I asked them about starting a repeat buyer program. Similar to what some of the online stores have. They seemed interested, but I don't know if they will.

It would be alot of work to keep track of each customer, and how much they have spent, but it is a good incentive to go back, especially if you are happy with the store. This way, they are getting their customers to come back, and you, the customer, have incentive to spend a little $$ in there, cuz you know you will get that "discount" or free frag, or whatever, once you've spent X amount of dollars. Maybe ask your LFS about this, they might be willing to do it!

I understand both sides of this, I have been in retail with my own business, and have also been the buyer. I don't earn alot of $$, so when I drop $100.00 at the LFS, I think, "Gosh, I bet I've spent over $1000.00 in this store in the last year, you'd think I'd get a discount or SOMETHING" but on the flip side of that, the guy behind me buys a new tank, and a new skimmer, and spends $1000.00 that day...should he get a BIGGER discount?? With a repeat buyer program, you would get the discount based on what you have spent.

Just my two cents!!!

jamesnmandy

i never ask for one either, but after going in once a week for a month and dropping a good $500 or more, i went in to get a skimmer, and they knocked off $50 off the price

it happens on it's own

i never ask for one either, but after going in once a week for a month and dropping a good $500 or more, i went in to get a skimmer, and they knocked off $50 off the price

it happens on it's own

exactly. I leave it up to them. They know I spend 100s all the time. If they want to give me a deal they do. If not thats fine too.

Mvite,

If walmart opens a petshop they will flood arkansas with salt water so they beat the competition on that too! I can see it now" hey can i get a frag of those whammin wal-marts off of you?"

Mvite,

If walmart opens a petshop they will flood arkansas with salt water so they beat the competition on that too! I can see it now" hey can i get a frag of those whammin wal-marts off of you?"

Exactly---and then when they crash and burn---it will spurn a whole new market. I really believe that "we" as reefers are on the cusp of something. Business can't continue to go on like it has for years.

The scarcity of natural resources coupled with business issues---is going to force the vendors in our hobby to change---I am not sure in what ways----but consumers are definitely looking to be treated better these days than they were years ago.

We're better informed----this site is just one small way of how business has changed already. Think of the days that you would walk into the LFS and buy their pre-set up kits. Now you can research your "ideal" set up online--before spending any money. POWER--people---TOGETHER WE HAVE POWER!!!

I'm just sayin. (sorry adin--I really like that sayin!)

$300? I spend that much every week at my LFS. :lol: They even put a love seat in for me so I had somewhere to sit when I was in there. :lol: I go to that store eveyday they are open in order to keep my relationship with the owner and one employee, also because I have no life. :lol: They give me all my dry goods at cost, including tanks, so I wouldnt dare ask for a livestock discount knowing thats where they make money off of me. ;)

Its can’t heart to ask, and if they say yes then great but if they say no the no big deal. The problem with giving this kind of discount is that the customer will likely expect it on all of their purchases. So again its ok to ask but don’t expect it like it was something they should or have to do for you.

yankeereefer

I belong to a local reef club - We have several club sponsors that offer a discount as a membership perk.

The club discount is the only one I ask if an LFS offers.

Archived