Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Salt Is Low In My Tank

wildernesstank

wildernesstank

my salt level is low do i just pure more salt in the tank to make it go higher and have my jets mix it up ? how do i do that

mix up some salt into your RO/DI water and add it to your tank until your salinity is where you want it.

Don't mix in the tank. Take 20% of the water out of the tank and mix in a clean container. Slowly bring the level up in a few days time. Don't increase the sg level in 1 shot.

about this...my salt level is at 1.020 maybe 1.022

is it in good standing ?...I'm waiting for the water level to go down so i can top it off with freshly mixed salt water...from my LPS is this a good idea?

the tank is still in cycling mode by the way ...just want to make sure

about this...my salt level is at 1.020 maybe 1.022

is it in good standing ?...I'm waiting for the water level to go down so i can top it off with freshly mixed salt water...from my LPS is this a good idea?

the tank is still in cycling mode by the way ...just want to make sure

no, try to get it up to like 1.026

what are you using to test? I use a plastic hydrometer and it read 1.018. when i got my lfs to test with a refractometer (reliable tester) my salinity was actually 1.024!

so yeah. those plastics hunks o junk can be wildly inaccurate. go get a refractometer or find someone who has one. You just need to know how off the hydrometer is and just adjust the salinity to that level. for example, i would aim for a reading of 1.018 for my hydrometer.

The Propagator

1st NEVER pour salt directly in your tank.

2nd NEVER raise your salenity rapidly.

Its ok to raise it 1 or 2 points rapidly but not if your around 1.020 or lower to the needed 1.023-1.026.

You will run the risk of shocking your coral inj a nano by doing that.

Mix up a regular %10 water change. If your SG is only a couple points off then make your fresh mix around 1.028-30 then check your Sg after a half hour or so. If its still low wait until the next day and repeat.

That way you wont shock your coral ;)

DO NOT make your SG 1.018 if your using a hydrometer.

They are always off yes, but you dont know if yours is off in the high range or the low range.

They are usualy not that far off. ( IE 1.018 with Hydro and 1.023 with refractometer)

They are susualy only off by 2-3 points high or low.

There are exceptions but dont treat yours as one imdediatley.

You may do more harm then good.

you can get a reliable and inexspensive SG refractometer off of Ebay for around $40 shipped.

It will ship to you from China but its worth th ewait if you dont want to spend $70.00

actually i been using the instant ocean hydrometer/plastic one...

and i find it very good...umm...the last time i checked it was at about 1.022...i plan to add freshly mixed SW from my LPS when i need to top it off...i'm sure it will bring it up slowly and ill keep doing that..until its in the safe zone...

as far as the rest of my parameters...ill be checking those by the end of next week...by then my tank will be two weeks old...and it will give me a good idea of what is has done for these past two weeks

DO NOT make your SG 1.018 if your using a hydrometer.

They are always off yes, but you dont know if yours is off in the high range or the low range.

They are usualy not that far off. ( IE 1.018 with Hydro and 1.023 with refractometer)

They are susualy only off by 2-3 points high or low.

There are exceptions but dont treat yours as one imdediatley.

You may do more harm then good.

prop im a lil confused (but then i am a dunce). Are you saying i shouldn't make my water read 1.018? or just other people? if you mean other people, then yes i fully agree that all hydrometers are different and they should adjust their own accordingly.

lil'wrasse cool

wow I must be out dated or something for as long as I remember tanks should be 1.018-1.022 But, it should be 1.026? maybe I should bump my salt up to :o:D Last time I checked it was 1.020 cool I bump it up a little next water change

actually i was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday he's had his tank for 6 yrs and his water is at 1.022 to 1.023 and he says thast about perfect...he wouldnt go any higher but its not wrong to keep it up high..

mine messured 1.023 last night and then about an hour later i did another test and it tested 1.020... i have yet to add the top off freshly mixed salt water which i know it will bring it up gradually about 1

so im not so worry...plus im still in the cycling process...so it shouldnt be a problem...

hope this helps

actually i was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday he's had his tank for 6 yrs and his water is at 1.022 to 1.023 and he says thast about perfect...he wouldnt go any higher but its not wrong to keep it up high..

It is about perfect for a FO or FOWLR setup, but most experts recommend higher salinity than that for reef tanks.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

wildernesstank

have you guys ever used the one where you turn off your pumps and it bobs around your tank and you see how deep it goes to get a reading .

Archived