Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

annoying coralline?

darkfishy2690

darkfishy2690

This is so freaking annoying. My green coralline algaeonly grows on my glass. Everyday there is a layer of green coralline on my glass that I have to wipe off. I have read other threads about how you should scrape it off, and put it on the rocks, but that doesnt work. The algae is a very thin layer, and when it scrapes off it turns into like dust. It doesnt grow on the rocks or the plastic backing. Is it coralline? Is there anyway to get it to grow on the rocks? Thanks!

sounds more like green film algae to me. coraline algae dosent grow that fast. but green algae grows in minutes under the right conditions.

sounds to me like you have a problem with your water quality, how often do you do water changes? do you use a skimmer? filter floss? RO water? have you checked the Nitrates?

darkfishy2690

10% water change, Nanowave skimmer, I do use filterfloss, Dont use RO water, dont have a nitrate test.

fraggle rockette
10% water change, Nanowave skimmer, I do use filterfloss, Dont use RO water, dont have a nitrate test.

DEFINATELY get a nitrate test. or at least have your water tested weekly. otherwise, there may be more than algae probs in the long run. also, the not using RO water might be the problem- other water such as tap or (heaven forbid) spring water can have microbes in them that would cause algae acceleration. just my .02

darkfishy2690

Yeah I will have to get some, my test kit doesnt contain nitrate test just pretty much everything else.

ahah, bingo, non-RO water, no nitrate test, and filter floss.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are crucial test kits, a must have.

non-RO water, yes *sigh* i also use it, and the most damning of it is phosphates, which can promote algae growth.

filter floss. my advice is dump it, unless you change it once a week, filter floss are well known nitrate factories which bring us back to number one.... the nitrate test kit :happy:

fraggle rockette

i also was having moderate algae probs until recently- i got a sunpod and now that i am running it open-topped, put some cheato in the back filter area of my nano and whalah, no more algae. not sure if that's what did it, but it sure has helped. :) RO/DI will help everything tho- it's worth the cost vs. elbow grease factor imo.

Ditto..... Not using RO/DI water is the problem most likely , also remember that " Coraline Algea " does not wipe off ever , it has to be scraped off .

Archived