Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Soft corals and anemones

Kelpie

I see a lot of people posting that it is difficult to have too much flow for SPS but I will want mostly soft corals, maybe one anemone and four small fish and a few assorted snails and crustaceans.

Right now I'm planning an 18" or 20" cube. What would be the best "turnover" rate for me?

Kelpie

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

Most clown hosting anemones require a medium water flow, I'd say anywhere between a 20x to a 30x turnover rate would be good for a mixed reef. Not all sps require a 40x turnover rate. Most montiporas thrive under medium flow.

turnover has some importance but just as critical is the "quality" of the flow.

constant direct laminar/"straight" flow doesn't help most corals and in fact is very detrimental ime. unfortunately, most pumps create this type or most flows are set up this way in tanks. you can affect the "straightness" of the flow by setting the origin/pump back a bit to allow the water/current to swirl and diffuse out. also, flowing the water around/thru structures (live rock or corals) will also break up the directness of the flow.

the constant aspect can be altered by using wavemakers (e.g. alternating pumps, wave generators or timers). this allows the coral to "respire" imo. the lull in-between the "waves" allows for feeding, cleansing, or other body functions.

i would suggest a wavemaker first and then see how your livestock responds to that. you may need to increase/decreas overall flow rates (gph) or change the layout or positions of the livestock or the flow directions themselves to best suit what your livetock wants. hth

Archived