SaltCritters.com

Stumped in Cycle

Signmom99

Almost one week into cycle on a new 12g tank.  Running 14lbs LR with a 201 powerhead (soon to add another).  No LS just 1/2" plain sand bottom, and 3 damsels plus 2 hermit crabs that tagged along on rock.  

The cycle is not progressing.  The ammonias have not left 0-1ppm, no trace of nitrites, and no trace of nitrates.  Water temp maintains 78-80 and I am not using the filter that came with the eclipse at all (completely removed it).  Fish are looking great, but the LR does have a lot of brown algae looking stuff on it.  

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.  Is it possible that I have enough LR to avoid any raises on the ammonia levels etc?  Or is my bio load too low for cycling (doesn't sound right though).  I posted on someone elses but have lost where I posted.

Well first your bioload is not too low, actually, it's kind of high using 3 damsels. Was your live rock already cured because that's mostly the part that needs to be cycled (die-off). Brown algae is probably caused by excessive nutrients in your water. Did you use tap water ?

Here's the link to the maint. log

http://www.nano-reef.com/maintlog.htm

Thanks 53 for the link.  

I did use tap water to setup initially.  I didn't know any better and had not found this site or aqualink yet.  I thought the rock was cured.  It had some corraline (sp) growing on it already, the purple stuff.  

So does this mean I will cycle for a longer period of time or is there something I need to do?

Archived