Cultivated Reef

Is it possible for there not to be a cycle

btbeam

I have a bc 14 and I putin 15lbs of ls and the live rock I bought was from an established tank 2 hours away so the rock was only out of water for a couple of hours. I already have the purple what I think is algae and a feather duster. My water is measuring 0 on nitrate nitrite ammonia and in the normal ranges for all other numbers. I am willing to wait as long as i need to but I was wondering if the parameters that I got the rock changed anything? thanks for your help

post-27054-1175649956_thumb.jpg

Give it at least a week no matter where you got the rock/sand. Just to be safe. Then only add things slowly. Like maybe a part of the clean up crew, then the rest of the crew a week later. Give your tank some time to develop levels that you can detect. Also, keep in mind that there has to be things for your clean up crew to eat.....so you might even want to wait until you see some sort of algae or something.

Once I got my rock, it took about a week and a half before the diatoms showed up. Another week before there was cyano and green algae.

Did you "feed" the tank when you put in the rock? Some bacteria need some nitrogen product to work on. Many people use a piece of raw fish, or a cocktail shrimp from the supermarket to get the cycle going.

I used a piece of raw squid from a bag of seafood medley. It floated around the tank for three weeks even before I got my VERY uncured live rock.

dsoz :)

fraggle rockette

eh like everyone else said, just watch the levels and add cleanup crew slowly. basically it sounds like you just moved a tank, right? or did you only get the rock? how long was that tank up and running? how much life was in it? all these things will be important in whether or not you have a sudden cycle- better safe than sorry.

If the rock was from a well established system then you mzy still get a cycle, but you don't need to add a cycle starter (raw shrimp etc.) You just need to give it a chance to cycle if it wants to.....

Did you "feed" the tank when you put in the rock? Some bacteria need some nitrogen product to work on. Many people use a piece of raw fish, or a cocktail shrimp from the supermarket to get the cycle going.

I used a piece of raw squid from a bag of seafood medley. It floated around the tank for three weeks even before I got my VERY uncured live rock.

This is completely unnecessary. The die-off on your live rock will provide plenty of ammonia to begin cycling your tank.

This rhetoric has been floating around on forums and the net for a while and really needs to have an end put to it.

Archived