Innovative Marine Aquariums

New AP24.. Cycle does not seem to start!

ramesis

Hi Guys!

Well the Aqua Pod has been running for 3 days now.. and I am not seing a single sign of a cycle!! On my 30 gallon by today I was seing some nitries and a little amonia.. On this tank not a thing!! The rock that I got is Marshal rock and it was very clean. It had coraline but not much life in it. and Matshal tends to be very smooth so not a lot of crevices. Also the rock got a little stressed because I screwed up the shipping time. I had to keep it in a plastic tub with a heater and a power head for two days. Maybe I killed everything in it and that is why my cycle will not start?? I took a couple of rocks from my 30 and put them in the AP24 to see but as of now.. Still not reading. Thinking about putting a shrimp in there.

I am using

Premade salt water mixed with RO water

Live Sand Fiji Pink

Salinity is 1.024

Everything else reads 0 or very little chemical reaction.

What to do??

I am comparing it with my 30 which cycled very nicely..

Thanks

Ramesis

alexmurovec

My tank has been up for 3 days now and all my test kits show up is a slight bit of nitrates, which could very well be just from the water source. I think you could give it a little more time and let it run its course naturally or you could add a shrimp to speed things up. Its your tank so its your choice. Good luck and post some pictures if you can.

I guess we are on the same boat :) That is exactly what I am getting. I will wait a little longer and see what happens. Probably this rock is very well cured and the one that I used in the 30 gallon had more die off which sped the cycle. Will wait.. :) I have patience.

Most people don't WANT to see an ammonia spike. If your rock is cultured with enough bacteria for your bioload, you don't need to have TOXIC ammonia spike in your aquarium. Ammonia will just kill off other life that may be on the rock to begin with.

The smooth texture of your rock and the "clean" description probably means that there is less macro-life that would die durring shipping (and decay to make the first cycle of ammonia). As long as it stays moist, the micro-life (bacteria and such) can continue to live, and you have an instant bio-filter. No ammonia spike is needed. If you are getting nitrates (assuming they are not coming from your water), you have a bio-filter that is ready to grow.

The first ammonia spike is usually from stuff that dies in shipping. If that does not happen, then you won't have a large cycle.

GO SLOWLY. Don't dump in 4 fish at once and expect a startup bio-filter to be ready for them. But a slower startup can be achieved without an ammonia spike.

If you are cautious, throw in some shrimp. If you get an increase in NITRATES, but no ammonia or nitrite than your tank is ready. If you are more gutsy, try something that is alive (and take the risk of killing it).

Good luck.

dsoz :)

dsoz,

:) I am patient... I can wait. I just don't know if a cycle is even happening. I hope it is. I am going to give it a few days and see what happens. If I still get no nitrate readings in a few days then I will throw a shrimp. I do not want to add anything until I see some nitrates being generated....

:D

dsoz,

:) I am patient... I can wait. I just don't know if a cycle is even happening. I hope it is. I am going to give it a few days and see what happens. If I still get no nitrate readings in a few days then I will throw a shrimp. I do not want to add anything until I see some nitrates being generated....

Let there be light! The thing started to cycle!

Larger pieces of LR have anoxic (low oxygen) and anaerobic (no oxygen) places inside. There are some bacteria that live in there that reverse the nitrogen cycle (denitrification). They use the oxygen in the nitrate and nitrite ion like you use oxygen out of the air. If your anaerobic and anoxic bacteria are abundant they may be using any nitrate/nitrite faster than it can be made. Just because you are not getting any readings does not mean that there is no cycle. You have a cycle, just no measurable products (nitrate, etc.)

Most people consider nitrates to be "bad". You don't want them to accumulate, especially if you want to get sensitive organisms.

Archived