Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Glue question

MAXreefer

HI All,

I have been working with epoxy and coral glue and all worked well.

But now I have to attach some smaller corals to a big rock which I can't take out of the water.

I heard you can use superglue/Krazyglue gel as well which is btw much much cheaper?

My question:

Could I put some crazyglue gel on the base of the coral out of the water. Wait for a few seconds and then attach it UNDER water to the rock?

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Michael

Yes you can. Just make sure you get the gel. A lot thicker and easier to work with. Dry the pc. where you are going to put the glue, then put the pc. into the water onto the place you want it to stay. Hold down with some pressure far 30-60 seconds and you should be good to go. I have had to redo this to a couple of frags that I think may have been bowled over by a turbo snail or cowrie but for the most part it has worked well for me.

Yes you can. Just make sure you get the gel. A lot thicker and easier to work with. Dry the pc. where you are going to put the glue, then put the pc. into the water onto the place you want it to stay. Hold down with some pressure far 30-60 seconds and you should be good to go. I have had to redo this to a couple of frags that I think may have been bowled over by a turbo snail or cowrie but for the most part it has worked well for me.

Spanko

Thanks for the quick reply and help

Michael

Scott Riemer

Hey Michael, I do exactly what spanko has recommended and it's worked well for me too. I use Loc-tite Super Glue Gel but any cyanoacrylate product should work. Gel is the easiest to work with.

alexmurovec

sorry for a hijack here but i will be at the same piont as you in some time. Can anyone give a specific name of a super glue product that works well?

alexmurovec

thanks man, so just so i can remember for when i'm at that step; dry off the base of the coral and put some of the gel onto it, let it set for a couple seconds then attach it to the rock that is under the water?

thanks man, so just so i can remember for when i'm at that step; dry off the base of the coral and put some of the gel onto it, let it set for a couple seconds then attach it to the rock that is under the water?

That should work.

I don't know if you'd even need to let it set for a couple of seconds.

When you put the frag in the water with the super glue gel on the end, the gel will immediately form a skin, which can inhibit the adhesion of the gel to the underwater rock. I put the frag in place and rotate/rub it against the surface to break the skin and have fresh glue go onto the rock. I also hold it in place without it moving for 20-30 seconds. This seems to help in long term adhesion for me.

I'll be truthful though. Placing frags in my system is the most frustrating aspect of this darn hobby. Nothing worse that having a $20-30 frag fall off where you've glued it and have it go into some crack or behind the rock so that you have to dismantle your whole rock setup to retrieve it! :rant:

Scott Riemer
sorry for a hijack here but i will be at the same piont as you in some time. Can anyone give a specific name of a super glue product that works well?
Loc-tite Super Glue Gel but any cyanoacrylate product should work

Archived