Innovative Marine Aquariums

Olive snails

paytonv

Multiple local fish stores here in Orlando sell olive snails. I was told that it would be beneficial to my 24g and bopught one myself. now, i am hearing that they are not reef safe. I was wondering if I should take him out and return him to the store I bought him from or leave him in. Any advice? If they aren't reef safe, i would like to hear why.

Never heard of them before, but if they are true olive snails, then they are more of a cold water snail and might not last long in a tropical tank. Take a look at this site to see if that is what they are.

Thanks Seahorse. That is definitely what I have. I keep looking up info on these guys and they are getting mixed reviews. I'm concerned if he is going to deplete my sandbed or start eating my shrimp, etc. He has been great so far. He comes storming from under the sand during feedings and quickly disappears afterwards. Quite entertaining.

Does anyone have any additional info on olive snails or have experience with these guys being predatory? I bought a cleaner shrimp about 4 days ago that was very active and suddenly went missing without any trace of any shrimp parts, ect.

travisurfer

Is the snail really big enough to eat the shrimp. Since you just got the shrimp, it must have just molted which is common for newly introduced or stressed shrimp.

The snail is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long. Still no sign of the cleaner shrimp. Not a trace of anything. How often do they molt? The first night that the shrimp was introduced he had molted which was about 5 days ago.

Archived