Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is Molting Good?

Gvtv44

Hi,

I did a WC yesturday, the first with my cleaner in the tank, and this morning I woke up to what I thought was a dead shrimp -_- I look across the tank and see the actual shrimp cleaning a powerhead. :lol: is molting a sign of stress (a bad wc?) or that he is happy? Also, how often will he molt? He is ~ 1.5" long and lives in my BC14.

Thanks! :D

Just a necessary part of its life. It could be brought on by stress in the form of a rapid change in some water chemistry that it needs to acclimate to, or it could be that it just grew too much and needs to molt because of it.

So we are all saying motling good, not bad. I thought my hermit was dead casue it molted and then i was told crab molts look like actulal crabs.

If animals are stressed, they likely won't molt. Stress can inhibit growth, especially in aquatic inverts and molting is a response to growth.

Molting requires a lot of energy on the part of the organism and they usually do it in response to positive environmental cues.

Mr. Fosi: Thanks! That's just what I wanted to hear. :happy:

x22hockey: Molting may not go well, and the organism may die as a result, that much I do know... I knew someome who had a tatantula for 2 years and it mismolted- it was pretty nasty looking :eek:

Thanks all!

Now- How can I make this molt and future molts go smoothly???

Complications while molting is blown out of proportion on these boards. I've had plenty of shrimp over the years that would molt about once a month and I've never had any deaths. I've had a couple of shrimp that lost a limb during a molt, but no deaths.

Some of the water parameters that help molting go smoothly aren't ones you usually test for. An example would be iodine.

I have never seen a mismolt of an aquatic organism but I have seen mismolts of snakes. The terrestrial mismolts were easily helped back on track by the addition of a little moisture.

I am using nutrisea water, and that is supposed to have iodine in it... but I think I may buy an iodine test kit... useful anyway :D

Archived