inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 14

StrategicReef

StrategicReef

I just bought a biocube 14 today. I don't know too much about these tanks, but it was on sale :)

I want to keep it simple... so not in much mood of modding.. is it ok to run everything stock?

I am thinking just stock pump, heater, and bag of carbon, no sponges, protein skimmer and crazy stuff like that.. I don't have time to fiddle around too much with this one.

I just want a couple of fishes and some easy softies for my desk. Getting about 15 lbs of LR for it. What do you think?

One big question, does it actually hold 14 gallons.. because my aquapod 24, it was more like 22 at MOST.

Thanks in advance.

Take the carbon out and put live rock rubble in that chamber. I think 10 pounds liverock will be fine for the tank.

guy at work runs his bone stock and everything is doing well. i do think he took the carbon out but thats about it.

I've had my BC 14 up for about 2 months and have made no modifications to it. I haven't replaced the bio balls with live rock rubble yet, but that is probabaly going to happen soon. As long as you stick to the hardy soft corals, you should be OK with the stock 10K lights and blue aticnics. The 10 K light should work because the tank is not very deep. I have musrooms, ricordia and zoos in mine and they are all sitting pretty low in the tank and all are doing fine. Just stay away from corals that need more light. Since you can't put any Chaeto in the fuge because there is no light back there, I reccomend you go closer to the 15 lbs of live rock for better filtration. Of course if you have a deep bed of live sand, you can probably go a little lighter on the rock. However, I am of the mindset that more is better ( more rock=more places to put corals.) As far as your question about if it really holds 14 gallons, I don't know because I didn't measure when I filled it. I think it is 14 gallons total, so the actual display part of your tank is only 12 or 13 gallons. I am not sure though. From everything I've been reading, you want to keep it to about 2 fish, maybe 3 if they are small. That to me is another reason to error on the side of more live rock because corals are a lot smaller bio load on the tank than fish are. I have about 15 lbs of live rock in mine and there is still quite a bit of room for critters to roam and fish (none yet) to swim.

Good luck to you and keep in mind that I'm a newbie to salt water so take what I said with a grain of salt. :D

StrategicReef

I am a big fan of carbon, I think takes the yellow out of the water..

Not sure about the rubble in the back.. because I am getting full pieces of rocks. it's probably as good being a piece of rock in the display.

As for fish I want to keep fish that tends to jump because I cannot keep them in my other open topped tank.. a nice firefish and maybe jawfish, small wrasse something like that.

Volume question would be how much water to change out.. well I'll just assume it's 14 Gallons, plan to change 2 gallons a week or something.

Im running my Biocube with the stock filter pad in chamber 1, chamber 2 has a few bioballs since I removed most, algone, and chemi-pure. The last chamber has a polyfilter in it.

All I plan on doing is getting a maxijet 1200 to replace the stock pump.

Everything is happy in my BC.. HTH

StrategicReef

So I am going to remove any pads, bio balls, sponges that comes with it.

Does this sound ok? I might find some rubble to fill in the middle chamber if I come across a good deal;

I just bought a biocube 14 today. I don't know too much about these tanks, but it was on sale :)

I want to keep it simple... so not in much mood of modding.. is it ok to run everything stock?

I am thinking just stock pump, heater, and bag of carbon, no sponges, protein skimmer and crazy stuff like that.. I don't have time to fiddle around too much with this one.

I just want a couple of fishes and some easy softies for my desk. Getting about 15 lbs of LR for it. What do you think?

One big question, does it actually hold 14 gallons.. because my aquapod 24, it was more like 22 at MOST.

Thanks in advance.

I just took a hammer to 5lbs of liverock and put that in the 2nd chamber. I left the 2nd grate below where the Bioballs were just for ease of cleaning the rock later its deep for big arms. I dont use the filter in the first chamber anymore because i put tigger pods in.

The Light on the Biocube 14 does shine into the back chambers so you can keep chaeto in there although my experience so far hasnt been great with that. I only had a little chaeto in there and the overflow pushed it aside and i think it got ground up by the pump. Might work better with a much bigger clump above the liverubble im sure.

Depending on what you do to it will change the amount of water It will hold. If you take out the bioballs there is no "wet/dry" system so you can fill the tank much fuller and ignore the fill to here line on the side of the tank.

As far as water changes I did it weekly 3gallon changes at first cause my rock wasnt cured but I waited 3 weeks between the last and my paramaters were all still perfect so I didnt really need to change it but did.

I think its a great tank. Ive had no problems with it at all so far. I dose daily with purple up and every 3 days with DT's Phyto and everything is healthy and growing.

StrategicReef

I think I am going to replace the stock pump with a maxijet 900

because it will give about 2x more flow.. and the stock pump says 0.1 Amps thats around 12W. Maxijet only around 9W.

just 10x turn over doesn't seem very good..

I think I am going to replace the stock pump with a maxijet 900

because it will give about 2x more flow.. and the stock pump says 0.1 Amps thats around 12W. Maxijet only around 9W.

just 10x turn over doesn't seem very good..

Alot of people do, thats one of the more common upgrades. If you have the money great if not mine is still the stock pump and everything is doing great. I even have too much flow in some areas. A few zoo frags I mounted are getting blown over like a palm tree in a hurricane but for the most part its pretty good.

Id actually be interested in other Biocube 14 owners opinions that have made that upgrade. I cant imagine 2x the flow in mine.

Alot of people do, thats one of the more common upgrades. If you have the money great if not mine is still the stock pump and everything is doing great. I even have too much flow in some areas. A few zoo frags I mounted are getting blown over like a palm tree in a hurricane but for the most part its pretty good.

Id actually be interested in other Biocube 14 owners opinions that have made that upgrade. I cant imagine 2x the flow in mine.

I'm using the MJ900 on my BC14 with the stock output fitting (no loc line or hydor flo). I just moved to the BC14 from a 5.5 over the weekend.

JMO, but I think that any less flow than what I've got just wouldn't cut the mustard.

StrategicReef--If you do an advanced search for Biocube here and set it to search the "All In One" forum section you'll find several threads by people doing many levels of mods, from none (stock), to full hot rod.

Chamber one I removed the plate and widen the flow to chamber two by .5 inches on top. Installed my 50 watt heater.

Chamber two I removed all the plates and bio balls. I scraped the black film off the back and placed a 5500k twist PC bulb on 24/7 behind the tank. I put 1.5 lbs of LR rubble and a baseball size wire algae (chaeto).

Chamber 3 I installed a Maxjet 900 and now use stock pump to mix my saltwater with. I also have filter film between the two and three.

Main display I have 13 lbs of Live Rock and 20lbs of live sand.

On the lid near the back chambers I ran two stripes of weather molding to block and critters from "jumping" into the back chambers. I run stock lighting.

The displacement of all the modes left me 10.5 gallons of water in the BioCube 14.

hope that helps :D

you prob want to start doing some reseach first before starting. I took about 3 weeks of info gathering before i bought my tank. I also have a BC14. check out my sig for the thread.

besides that, learn what you need so you dont have to waste time and money on things you dont.

other than that have fun!

by the way, i tried a MJ 900, it has too much flow. If you cut the overflow chamber you then should be ok.

I've got a BC14 as well, did a lot of reading as well before I decided on that. I took out the pad and the balls, put LR rubble in chamber 1 and 2. I still need to take the sponge out in front of the powerhead. I also would like to replace it with an MJ900. My thread on my recent setup is in my sig. I use a 100watt EJ heater which works awesome.

because of noise I put the sponge from an algae cleaning brush on top of the lr rubble in chamber 2, so the water hits that and then goes into the tank. I'm not sure if this is going to kill me on nitrates/nitrite. The trickling water is pretty noisy though without the bioballs.

StrategicReef
Chamber one I removed the plate and widen the flow to chamber two by .5 inches on top. Installed my 50 watt heater.

Chamber two I removed all the plates and bio balls. I scraped the black film off the back and placed a 5500k twist PC bulb on 24/7 behind the tank. I put 1.5 lbs of LR rubble and a baseball size wire algae (chaeto).

Chamber 3 I installed a Maxjet 900 and now use stock pump to mix my saltwater with. I also have filter film between the two and three.

Main display I have 13 lbs of Live Rock and 20lbs of live sand.

On the lid near the back chambers I ran two stripes of weather molding to block and critters from "jumping" into the back chambers. I run stock lighting.

The displacement of all the modes left me 10.5 gallons of water in the BioCube 14.

hope that helps :D

Can you tell me how you scraped the back tint? Do you just use a razer blade to go on the outside.. is it a clean looking glass in the end and how long did it take?

It's almost like they wanted us to do this :)

RockOverFish

Mindaugas, I got annoyed by the water trickle effect of chamber 2 also! What I did was throw some filter floss in there to stop it, cheep and easier to throw away weekly. Less of a nitrate risk that way, or just wash the sponge out really good every 3-5 days.

Can you tell me how you scraped the back tint? Do you just use a razer blade to go on the outside.. is it a clean looking glass in the end and how long did it take?

It's almost like they wanted us to do this :)

I took a blade from a utility knife and just scraped the film for the middle chamber at a 45 degree angle appling preasure down ward. You might have to go over same area a few times to get it clean of the film. Some mesaured the area to fit thier refugium light I just scraped the whole area for chamber 2 only and placed my light behind the aquarium.

I just swapped out my stock pump for the Maxi-Jet 900. It seems that it is much louder than the stock pump. The tank is in my bedroom and its driving me crazy at night when the halide fans turn off. Does anyone else have this vibration noise? Anyway to reduce it? Did you guys use the suction cups that came with it? Any quick fixes? Is my pump defective perhaps??

I just swapped out my stock pump for the Maxi-Jet 900. It seems that it is much louder than the stock pump. The tank is in my bedroom and its driving me crazy at night when the halide fans turn off. Does anyone else have this vibration noise? Anyway to reduce it? Did you guys use the suction cups that came with it? Any quick fixes? Is my pump defective perhaps??

is it vibrating off the tank possibly? mine dropped into the far left side of chamber 3. I don't have any intake attachments on mine it sits at an angle with the intake facing the front left corner UP. I do have the single rubber cup on the back but not sure it stops the vibrations but worth keeping attached. I've only noticed a little bit of noise at times I just wiggle it around a bit and it stops the vibrating off the glass/plastic. I could not get it to fit any other way - works fine for me.

StrategicReef

Hey guys, those that put LR rubble in chamber 2, do you take out the grate that is down there? Are you still using the top grate as well? I am testing my tank now and it's making alot of noise without anything in the chamber.

Hey guys, those that put LR rubble in chamber 2, do you take out the grate that is down there? Are you still using the top grate as well? I am testing my tank now and it's making alot of noise without anything in the chamber.

I left my grate in to keep the chaeto out of chamber 3 with LR rubble under the grate. I use a small piece of LR to hold the grate down with the chaeto on op of that. it will make noise as well as bubbles without anything in chamber 2. need chaeto let me know I have too much in mine now.

StrategicReef
I left my grate in to keep the chaeto out of chamber 3 with LR rubble under the grate. I use a small piece of LR to hold the grate down with the chaeto on op of that. it will make noise as well as bubbles without anything in chamber 2. need chaeto let me know I have too much in mine now.

You are referring to the top overflow grate right.

But I am talking about the bottom peice (another grate, the flimsy one) that supposed to stop things from flushing into chamber 3, do you leave that in?

Archived