SaltCritters.com

New to Refugium

krikor

Hey guys, i got a 10 gallon nano setup. At the moment i have an aquaclear 20 with a sponge and some LR on top, i also have a protien skimmer. My question is about makeing a refugium.

I was planning on purchasing a aquaclear 70 and converiting it to a refugium. What do i need? do i just put crushed coral at the bottom, some Chaeto and LR, plus a light? Can someone also post the link on how to convert a aquaclear into a refugium? If you could please tell me how this is done, what it does, and how do i maintain it. Do i ever have to take the filter off and clean it? and how can i still filter particles out of the water to keep it crystal clean?

Thanks Guys

For about the same price as the aquaclear 70, and if you dont mind a little DIY. I use a rufugium kit I got off ebay for 35 bucks including shipping. And I also picked up a 18 watt mini compact of ebay for 28 bucks including shipping.

I put about an inch to 2 inches of live sand in between the baffles, with about 2 lbs of rubble rock, then a handful of cheato algae. As for the pump for the refugium I bought the smallest powerhead I could find for like 15 bucks I think.

I have have absolutely no problems with my set-up, and no algae what so ever has grown in my main tank for over a week now. And the algae that was there before I put on the refugium was after a couple of days.

I hope this helps you out, and if you have any more questions shoot away. Here are some pictures.

img071.jpg

DCAM0085.jpg

img076.jpg

better1.jpg

Let me know if you have any more questions!

heh myrxseven so proud of that fuge. Looks good though! To the orig poster there is a thread on here about aq 70 mods to make it a fuge. Search around im sure you'll find it. Or look on the sticky there under DIY Library im sure its linked in there.

Archived