Innovative Marine Aquariums

1st try on 2nd Nano

rickjg

BlueHorseshoe

I have the same tank. Its very nice. It is a 7g. bowfront with a built in sump and 27w pc light fixture (18w white and 9w actinic).

It is made by some no name company in the far east. My LFS bought a bunch at a tradeshow to see how well they sell.

Very nice. Can you give some descriptions on what's in there and the equiptment. I plan on starting a 2 gallon nano also out of my old eclipse explorer.

BlueHorseshoe

I don't know about Rick but I paid $119 for mine here in LA. It came with the lights, bioballs (which I chucked) a pump and built in fan. I disabled the fan after a couple of days because it was kind of noisy.

The tank is made by Nu Dimension Inc in Taiwan. The (ridiculous) name on the box is "Alife" with the subtitle "caribbean-for your life aqua-collection"

I posted pics of my tank in this thread

www.nano-reef.com/cgi-bin/forums/topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=83

BlueHorseshoe does have the same brand of tank.

I bought mine in San Diego for $130.00

The fan that came with the tank was noisy.

I replaced it with an old CPU fan that is much quieter.

Have you had water temp problems without a fan BlueHorseshoe?

Mine has a tar type ballast that gets pretty hot.

The original pump was a Rio knock-off that was also very noisy.

I replaced it with a real Rio the same size & watts.

The Rio pumps twice the water and is much quieter.

Overall I like the Tank.

I've got the same exact tank as Rick J G.  I also replaced the small fan with a small chipset fan and am planning to add 2 silent 60mm fans.  It sells for about $99.00 at a couple LFS in San Diego now.  I'm also thinking about replacing the pump and ditching the bioballs, but what should I put in to replace the bioballs with?  

You do not need anything to replace the bio balls if you have live rock. Just pull them out. Make sure you do not use the sponge or floss, unless you clean them daily with fresh water. The bio balls and filter medium just produce nitrates.

I have nothing but good things to say about this tank.  I own one and it is the most inexpensive complete nano-reef ready tanks I've come across.  My friends run this tank with the stock pump and no other upgrades (minus filter media & bioballs).  I equally love the tanks that are on sale here on this site.  I am seriously considering one.

The tanks for sale on this site look very cool.  It's inspired me to design my own DIY project on building my own plexi tank.  I will be using the same designs borrowed from my ALife and the tanks on this site.  Wish me luck!

Quote: from Rick J G on 6:11 pm on Feb. 22, 2002[br]You do not need anything to replace the bio balls if you have live rock. Just pull them out. Make sure you do not use the sponge or floss, unless you clean them daily with fresh water. The bio balls and filter medium just produce nitrates.

Rick, can you please explain how these items can produce nitrates.  I know that too much nitrates can be harmful to a nano, but how much of it can I withstand before I need to take some action against it.  And how?

BlueHorseshoe

No problem with the water temp without a fan. In fact, I am going to replace my 50w heater with a 75w because it has trouble maintaining 80 degrees at night. (Even though I live in sunny southern california.)

Archived