Cultivated Reef

12 gallon eclipse...

NanoDude

Hey guys

I have a 12 gallon eclipse tank. Tossed the filter a long time ago. Also tossed the lighting and got a new coralife 96 watt 50/50 powerquad light.

I need to know what all I will need to make this a nice little reef tank.

I am going to be going to the store in the next few days and need a shopping list for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremiah

beachsidejuj
Hey guys

I have a 12 gallon eclipse tank. Tossed the filter a long time ago. Also tossed the lighting and got a new coralife 96 watt 50/50 powerquad light.

I need to know what all I will need to make this a nice little reef tank.

I am going to be going to the store in the next few days and need a shopping list for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremiah

Hey Jeremiah..I am thinking of going with that lighting too...what are you going to use for a filter? or the open water?

Get a "perfecto" brand (or other) glass hood. The quad is awesome, I've got it over a 15g Eclipse. I used an Amiracle wet/dry HOB that i've had for filtration and modded it a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...
beachsidejuj

if I get a "glass hood"...what about the "gas" exchange??? I have a 12g eclipse bowed front...is seems that I would have to have one made...ugg $$$$$$....!!!

my lfs has a 2 yr old show nano that is a light-upgraded (otherwise stock) eclipse 12 and it is amazing... They have zoos, shrooms, and a sea apple thriving in it, and I believe they only upgraded it to 50-somethin watts...

beachsidejuj

hummm well I have Coralife 96w 50/50 over it and a HOB AC 20 on it....guess I am just going to go with open water...I know I can do zoos, mushrooms LPS...I was wondering if I can do a sand sifting starfish...

hummm well I have Coralife 96w 50/50 over it and a HOB AC 20 on it....guess I am just going to go with open water...I know I can do zoos, mushrooms LPS...I was wondering if I can do a sand sifting starfish...

for starfish, lighting isnt a concern as much as area for them to roam is. Im not too familiar with the sand sifter, but you could prob get away with one brittle or serpent if you have enough lr in it...

beachsidejuj
Get a nice HOB Skimmer like a Remora

My tank is soooooooooo small and I have great water movement..why would I need a skimmer??

A skimmer will greatly improve your water quality and give you a lot more room for error with missed water changes and overfeeding. Being a smaller tank, it's probably even more important.

I've had an eclipse12 for a long time with a 96W quad and i think the skimmer was the most effective piece of equipment for maintaining the tank.

Archived