SaltCritters.com

Calvin's daughter's 5g nano

calvin

This was my first SW tank when I started in the hobby 2.5 yrs ago. So it was with great nostalgia that I set it up again in my daughter's room about a month ago.

Specs:

tank: Marineland 5g hex, still with stock filtration. but biowheel removed

lighting: 10w screw-in Coralife 50/50 + retro'd 20w screw-in Coralife 50/50

Heater: 25w Stealth

Powerhead: Hydor Pico 300 (80 gph). Smallest PH I've ever seen.

Livestock:

1 CB ocellaris juvi from Coral Dynamics (an online vendor for most of you but an LFS for me! B) )

1 astrea

1 tongan nassarius

2 ceriths

1 margherita snail

4 blue-leg micro hermits

(all but the astrea are from CD as well)

LR:

the top piece is a piece of Tonga Fusion from Coral Dynamics. the rest is lesser stuff from another LFS (though it cost more).

I'm bad with the pics, but here it is:

DSCF1649.jpg

DSCF1655.jpg

here's a frag of xenia elongata that I also got from CD for my 65g, but my flame angel picked it down to nubs so now it's safely recuperating in the nano.

DSCF1651.jpg

It's fun to have a 2nd tank to tinker with, and my 5 yr old is really excited to have it in her room. She "helps" me with water changes and feeding. The clown has gone from being named Nemo to Tinkerbell to Peter Pan to Nemo, now back to Peter Pan. I see it as a good way of teaching her resposibility.

I have some pink palys in my reef tank that I'll probably frag soon and put in her tank as well. I'll try to remember to update here when I do. thanks for looking.

This was my first SW tank when I started in the hobby 2.5 yrs ago. So it was with great nostalgia that I set it up again in my daughter's room about a month ago.

Specs:

tank: Marineland 5g hex, still with stock filtration. but biowheel removed

lighting: 10w screw-in Coralife 50/50 + retro'd 20w screw-in Coralife 50/50

Heater: 25w Stealth

Powerhead: Hydor Pico 300 (80 gph). Smallest PH I've ever seen.

Livestock:

1 CB ocellaris juvi from Coral Dynamics (an online vendor for most of you but an LFS for me! B) )

1 astrea

1 tongan nassarius

2 ceriths

1 margherita snail

4 blue-leg micro hermits

(all but the astrea are from CD as well)

LR:

the top piece is a piece of Tonga Fusion from Coral Dynamics. the rest is lesser stuff from another LFS (though it cost more).

I'm bad with the pics, but here it is:

DSCF1649.jpg

DSCF1655.jpg

here's a frag of xenia elongata that I also got from CD for my 65g, but my flame angel picked it down to nubs so now it's safely recuperating in the nano.

DSCF1651.jpg

It's fun to have a 2nd tank to tinker with, and my 5 yr old is really excited to have it in her room. She "helps" me with water changes and feeding. The clown has gone from being named Nemo to Tinkerbell to Peter Pan to Nemo, now back to Peter Pan. I see it as a good way of teaching her resposibility.

I have some pink palys in my reef tank that I'll probably frag soon and put in her tank as well. I'll try to remember to update here when I do. thanks for looking.

Cool tank. I have always wanted to do one with a drilled bottom and sump beneath keeping the tank free of equipment. That's great that you have started her off with her own tank. I used to do reptile shows and the kids would go crazy over the different snakes, turtles and frogs. There is one who's parents I know that lives and breathes reptiles, about 10yrs old. Starting your daughter out at her age will ensure not only a fulfulling hobby later in life, but a respect for the creatures on our planet. Might keep her away from too many hours in front of the boob-tube also. lol.

Cool tank. I have always wanted to do one with a drilled bottom and sump beneath keeping the tank free of equipment.

Me too!! And if I had my way that's what we would've done. but my wife seems to think that the girl's room needs to have space for clothes, toys, a bed, etc. :huh:

Awesome. I've always thought the 5g hex made a pretty neat little nano tank.

Look what you've done though calvin! You are going to turn your innocent daughter into one of us. I can just see the look on your face now: "Dad, this is Greg, he works at a fish store. We're getting married! and he's Jewish!" [calvin screams like a girl and has a massive heart attack]

"We're getting married! and he's Jewish"

rofl, that made my day, thanks for that.

Nice tank calvin, I have also always liked the look of hex tanks. Nice liverock also.

Scott Riemer
Me too!! And if I had my way that's what we would've done. but my wife seems to think that the girl's room needs to have space for clothes, toys, a bed, etc. :huh:

---Looks around for C7---

Women! :huh:

It's a joke! :lol:

clifford513

Nice tank, Calvin. I remember my mom had one of those not-so-clear glass, vintage tanks (now and I have been thinking of setting one up) with guppies when I was just 3 or 4 years of age. That is when I became interested in aquariums. Great for you and your daughter. I am sure it will give her (and you) lots of great memories. :)

---Looks around for C7---

Women! :huh:

It's a joke! :lol:

C7 may not be here yet but I am! :angry: Seriously! My husband just hijacked my spot for my prop tank for his study desk. I am going to have to put it in the family room w/carpet till I can work out a better spot.

Some men :huh: (Had to add "Some" for self preservation. :P )

Look what you've done though calvin! You are going to turn your innocent daughter into one of us. I can just see the look on your face now: "Dad, this is Greg, he works at a fish store. We're getting married! and he's Jewish!" [calvin screams like a girl and has a massive heart attack]

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg I'd have a hard enough time with a non-Presbyterian! But my little girl is not getting married. she already told me. she's going to live with mommy and daddy forever. Now if I can just figure out a way to get her to stop growing up... The other day she spoke the words that every reefing father wants to hear, "Daddy, can we have some corals in my tank?"

thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'll try to clean the glass a bit more next time before posting.

Scott Riemer
BTW: where's my praise for actually posting something NOT in the lounge? :huh:

Well, since nobody else seems to want to give you kudos, I will. Great job! :lol:

Well, since nobody else seems to want to give you kudos, I will. Great job! :lol:

thanks, Scott. I thought I'd get more of a response from my lounge peeps.

well, Peter Pan (the clown) didn't make it. :( We found him dead yesterday morning. I tested the water params and everything looked kosher. I think it was due to stress from temp fluctuations. I blame myself. I shouldn't have trusted a 5 yr old to be sure she left the small lid open when the lights are on. the temp got up to about 85° a few days ago, and then we had a cold snap and it jumped down about 10° all in 24 hrs. the poor little guy just got too stressed and stopped eating and died a few days later. he showed no signs of any diseases.

my little girl was obviously quite broken-hearted about it yesterday. My plan is to wait a few weeks, do water changes and make sure everything is good and stable and give it another shot. I'll take more responsibility this time and double-check to make sure the lights are on and the small lid is open.

it was a sad day in our house yesterday.

modularduck

sorry to hear of your loss i too had a clown take a sand nap. i really like the hex set up looks really cool.

Archived