ReefCleaners.org

The start of my 30 gallon mixed reef

GrandeGixxer

GrandeGixxer

Here is what I have gotten started. It is a 30 gallon with a 20 gallon sump/refugium. For now I am going to run 2x96 PC for lighting because I got it dirt cheap. I have done extensive cutting on the stand to get the sump to fit under it, but the stand still seems very solid. I am running a Prizm skimmer, and a ViaAqua 3500 for the return. It is going through a SCWD. With this I figure it is running around 700-800 gph. I got my rock from MarcoRocks.com. I decided to use base rock to keep some of the bad guys out of the tank. I seeded it with about 5 lbs of live rock from a LFS that is well trusted. I have a few crabs and snails in there right now, but plan on adding more really soon since the bloom is here. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I will be adding pictures as the tank progresses.

Here is the view from the back

And the sump with some cheato and some type of red macro.

post-23406-1175461542_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1175462334_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1175462439_thumb.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow man im diggin' that setup man! :o Gorgeous!!!

I love how you did the tubing, very nice and clean :) . And the rock layout, gorgeous!!! Do you plan on keeping corals or what? Looks like a 50g at least mane, very well done! Im full of envy for it, not gonna lie :D lol

Flick :)

GrandeGixxer

I am going to do mostly SPS and Zoos, with a couple of clams as soon as I get the Halides on it. The rockwork is to the left because I am planning on putting 3 or 4 Mangroves on the right side. I made the sand about 4 inches thick in that corner. It took me quite a while to get the rocks where I wanted them. I am going to move the one on top so that it is somewhere else though. Thanks for the compliments! Joe.

GrandeGixxer

Just checked Ammonia, 0.0! Another week and it will be time for the first water change. Then to start the stocking. I will get more pics up when I get a chance.

looks good so far, what are your nitrites and nitrates? what are the dimensions of the tank and what light do you plan on upgrading to?

GrandeGixxer

I haven't checked nitrites or nitrates yet. Ammonia just came down yesterday because on Saturday it was through the roof. The light I am using right now is 36" long. I am planning on a 250w halide with VHO actinic supplementation.

GrandeGixxer

I had to do a sort of reverse Durso. It pretty much sounded like Niagra falls was in my basement. Had to make the wife happy. Here is a cool pic of my red leg hermet. I caught him just "hanging out" under the rocks in the back of the tank. Pretty cool picture if you ask me.

Here is a new FTS. I cleaned some of the brown algae off the rocks with a powerhead. most of it is still there though.

post-23406-1175566792_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1175566848_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1175567019_thumb.jpg

GrandeGixxer

Ok, Nitrites are on the rapid decline, Nitrates are on the slow rise, I went and got some polyps tonight. They opened up within 10 minutes of going in the tank. Most of them are pretty cool colors. I hope you like them.

And another

post-23406-1175825700_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1175825941_thumb.jpg

GrandeGixxer

I went out to Oceans Floor today in Lake in the Hills, Illinois. I got another zoo frag, and a Yuma frag. As soon as they are acclimated, I will post a couple of pics as well as a new FTS.

Man! I LOVE your tank! :o

I love the rock the most! Looks amazing! And how you layed it out, really looks great! Pretty natural, yet great for a tank! I love it! I honestly think it looks like a 55g or 75g. Great job, keep it up! :D

What are you planning on fish wise? ;)

GrandeGixxer

It is too late to take some pics tonight, but I will tomorrow. I got the Rocks from Marcorocks.com. They were really nice, I am impressed with them. I am planning on a pair of the Black Clowns like BigByrd has probably and maybe a clown goby or something. Not too much, maybe even a group(small school) of Green Chromis. I am more interested in the corals really. I kicked around getting a Potter's Angel, but I don't want to risk it when I start adding clams to the tank. Possibly a juvinile atlantic blue(tang). Hopefully since I typed it in there, the Tang Police wont get me. Not too sure, but whatever I get, it will be worth it. I am not going to settle for "tank fillers" for this tank, I want to put some nice stuff in it. Thanks again for the nice comments, have a great Easter, Joe.

i hated when people use to tell me what to do but im gonna tell you what i would do if i were you. I think if you still have some reading of nitrites you should leave the tank as is until they are completely undetectable. So leave the polyps and the crabs n snails alone for probably another week or 2 and nitrites should be zero by then and whats in there now should survive.

if i was setting up a 30L, i think it would be awesome for like 4 wrasses. Added at the right times they could get along perfectly fine and you'll have some very active, colorful fish always out in the open. Thats just me though its just an idea.

GrandeGixxer

I wanted to do a 6line, but I am going to leave it open top. So, I am not going to do any wrasses. The Nitrites are gone, Trates are at .10. I am not adding anything else for a couple more weeks though. Gotta wait til payday. Thanks for the advice, patience is hard to have, as we all know. I will post pics tomorrow.

oh, awesome then...but check out my new wrasse in my 30g thread it might change your mind, and if not, well whatever you still get to see one bad a$$ fish

GrandeGixxer

Yeah, the Radiant Wrasses are really nice, I have been seeing a lot of them in stores lately too. I am not sure what I am going to do. I need to get some fish in there soon though. It is getting kinda boring without the movement.

Lovin' it! :D

If i were you, i would get a pair of black clowns, 3 chromis, 1 sixline wrasse, and the yellow watchman gobie ;) That would be awesome! :D Active, colourful fish at all levels of the tank! I also think you should get a cleaner shrimp. They are reef safe, are gorgeous, and help clean the fish from disease. My cleaner has saved my bicolor angels life for sure!!!! Not to mention my clown. Thanks for the new pics man, i love it even more and more as the days go by! :) What lighting are you using btw?!

Oh i see... 2 x 96w. Is it a aqualight?! The silver canopy?and 36"? Thats the one im getting from a local reefer for $180 for m y 46g... Do you like yours?!

GrandeGixxer

The 1 I have is the Coralife fixture. I got it used from the guy I bought the tank and stand from. I got it all for $150 used. He said that the bulbs were only 3 months old, but I think they are older. I am going to replace them in the next couple of months because the color sucks. They are fine right now for this stage of the tank. I am eventually either going to swtich to 4x T5 or a 250w MH with 2x VHO for Actinic. It all depends on what I can get at a good price at the time I am ready. We will see. The Zoas are doing great, except the Radioactive Dragon Eyes that keep getting knocked down by the Margarita snails.I am guessing that I will have to mount those ones somehow to the rock. Other than that, it is all going good. I am going to do a water change of about 10 gallons tomorrow night. I have to go get some more water though. In the next couple of months, I am going to get my water mixing station set up with RO/DI and a python to drain the tank. Keep watching, this thing will be awesome within the next year.

GrandeGixxer

I got a nice Ric on Wednesday. It is splitting into either 3 or 4 heads. It is doing great. I will try and get pics tomorrow. I have been super pusy lately.

GrandeGixxer

Ok, here are a couple of pics. He is doing great. Cruising around, eating some Rod's food, checking everything out. He already found his favorite cave. I also got a couple more polyps, they haven't opened yet though. They are a bright orange, and some bright yellow ones. Pretty coo zoas! It is great having Sharky's Reef as my LFS. Hope you enjoy the pics.

and another

post-23406-1176520065_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1176520162_thumb.jpg

GrandeGixxer

Well, Hector is doing awesome. I got him some Rod's Food yesterday and he loves it. I got some frags yseterday from a fellow reefer. I got a frag of Hydnophora, and some bright orange Cap. They seem to be happy today. I will put up some pics tonight.

GrandeGixxer

I had every intention of putting up a new FTS tonight. Instead I decided to take my MJ 1200 and blow everything off of the rocks. It had not cleared up before the lights went off. Oh well. Here are a few pics even though the water is not very clear. Enjoy.

post-23406-1176949716_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1176949754_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1176949779_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1176949792_thumb.jpg

post-23406-1176949817_thumb.jpg

alexmurovec

holy man, awesome looking tank! your rockwork makes it look huge, and i like the clean plumbing you did. i have to say one thing though, SLOW DOWN! honestly, its only been a month since your tank has started up, and you got alot of expensive livestock in there. i know its hard, but try not to add anymore corals for awhile, and keep your wrasse as the only fish for sometime. let your tank grow and mature for a month or two, see where your at then, then add some more stuff. i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one that agrees with this ;)

Archived