Pod Your Reef

witch skimmer

dryice000

witch skimmer should i get the coralife super skimmer 65 or the red sea prizm hang on skimmer. it will be going on my 33 gallon . at the moment i dont have a sump but plan to add a 20 gallon sump soon.

witch skimmer should i get the coralife super skimmer 65 or the red sea prizm hang on skimmer. it will be going on my 33 gallon . at the moment i dont have a sump but plan to add a 20 gallon sump soon.

I have heard that neither of those will skim witches very well. :P

Red Sea has good tank skimming ratings...

which witch is wich? lol

prisms tend to blow unless you do a little mod on it. By mod i mean just put an arivalve on it to control air flow. Then tinker a lot (couple of days) until you find the right balance between air/water flow so that you keep the siphon while still getting foam. Mine now works fine after doing that.

Never tried the coralife myself

jasonincuritiba

Red Sea Skimmers are have a lot of problems, just look at how many used ones you can find for cheap, go with the Coralife or get a AquaC Remora they are great no fuss skimmer.

crazinezz978

for the 33g, id buy the bakpak. I have one on my 55 gallon and it pulls a cup a day with only 2 low bio-load fish and no corals. Very easy to adjust also.

There really are no good hob skimmers out there (until i finish my design and sell it :)) the cpr is junk, red sea is junk, seaclone (seaclown) is garbage, the aquaC is "ok" and the only real hob id suggest is the deltec mce models but they're very pricey.

HecticDialectics

ok I'm going out on a limb here... but why not just wait till you get a sump and then get an in-sump skimmer? You'll have more and better options, as well as a touch longer to save up and get a good one.

There really are no good hob skimmers out there (until i finish my design and sell it :)) the cpr is junk, red sea is junk, seaclone (seaclown) is garbage, the aquaC is "ok" and the only real hob id suggest is the deltec mce models but they're very pricey.

How much is yours going to cost and what makes it better? Just wondering.

How much is yours going to cost and what makes it better? Just wondering.

Depends on which model i decide to go with but diffuser plates, a real needlewheel, dwell time etc. Just things that make a skimmer better.

Archived