SaltCritters.com

upgraded my 3!

jdog123

ok well i went on vacation and my 3 gallon died. my whole tank was covered in cement like brown algea and my sand bed was covered in black deposits of something. it was not a pretty sight..........although strangely my corals were the biggest ive ever seen them. ok anyways i upgraded the 3 to a 5.5 gallon and i love it. i have a question though. i just put in a hydor rotating water deflector on my aquaclear 10 powerhead. do you think it will do a good enough job on this small 5.5 gallon tank? it says minimum 80 gallons per hour ont he deflector and mine is doing it, althogh it cuts the flow down a lot. i will post pictures later of it and i would like to know where yall think the best location to put it would be. hope you like it!

ok well i went on vacation and my 3 gallon died. my whole tank was covered in cement like brown algea and my sand bed was covered in black deposits of something. it was not a pretty sight..........although strangely my corals were the biggest ive ever seen them. ok anyways i upgraded the 3 to a 5.5 gallon and i love it. i have a question though. i just put in a hydor rotating water deflector on my aquaclear 10 powerhead. do you think it will do a good enough job on this small 5.5 gallon tank? it says minimum 80 gallons per hour ont he deflector and mine is doing it, althogh it cuts the flow down a lot. i will post pictures later of it and i would like to know where yall think the best location to put it would be. hope you like it!

Any idea what happen to your 3 gallon?

pictures! http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/Jdog123/ hope you guys like it and i would really appreciate it if you could tell me if there is a better place for my power head. if not thats ok cuz it at least looks good where it is now. o and do you think that an 80 gph would have enough flow for a 5 gallon through that diffusor thing? i cuts the flow down by a lot. thanks guys.

avalanche1201

i think you'd want more flow w/ the 5 gal. If you have 80 now the hydor will really cut it back. Ive got around 140gph in my 3gal right now to give some idea

I think you need more live rock. Enough for a 29 gallon BioCube on sale for $100 bucks off. Doncha think? Try putting your power head right in the middle. That way it would create flow on both sides and when the HydorFlo is pointing up it would hit the flow coming out of your HOB filter and really create a big wave in your minnow bucket. I also think you need to go ahead and frag that candy coral on the left and trade a piece for one of those red wormy things. Are you going to use your 3gal as a sump/refugium? That'll be cool. You've got some pretty red mushrooms. Don't you think you need a big, red open brain? Maybe your favorite LFS will order a bright neon green frogspawn that's alot bigger than they had hoped for and will try fragging a piece for you. Overall, I like it. I think I may trade up for that BioCube 29.

oh yeah, where'd you put your leather coral?

in those pics its tucked away in a corner behind the hydor, but im trying to find a better place to put it at the moment.

yay i just got a new sun coral and im really excited i like it a lot. i also got a feather duster and a purple mushroom that they threw in for free. i only payed 25 for the sun coral and its pretty big. i like it a lot. whats the best to feed it? i was thinking the green zooplankton stuff made by DT. ill get pics as soon as possible. i love it.

what are you feeding it? I wanna see a picture. Where in the tank do you have it? I need something yellow in my tank. it's all browns and greens but with those red zoos and orange rics scattered on the bottom.

i just fed it some brine shrimp last night. im trying to get some of the dt's stuff and use that cuz it would be easier if im in a hurry. i take it out and put it in a little tupperware with tank water and a cube of brine shrimp and use a dropper to put some on the tubes and also to stir the water up and make a little current so they move around. i love this thing. its in the bottom of the tank now. ill try to get pictures up ASAP hopefully tonight.

of course, i'll take anything you don't want

i haven't ordered your snails yet, I'll do that in the morning...call me at the store if you want to change anything about that...Melanie wants a mithrax too

I'm going to try again for some frogspawn or trumpet corals

want an open red brain?

i love the black sand in that 55...those are some nice looking rocks LOL

that sun coral looks big enough to frag, dontcha think?

ok thanks for ordering them. i changed my mind on the shrimp cuz i think that would be overdoing it. as for the red brain i think im done with corals for now i might be going a little overboard im gonna let those grow out and see what happens. i also went to wal mart and bought this cool little mini heater and stuffed it in the corner and you can barely notice it. its only 7.5 watts though so i dont think its really doing anything but oo well it was 7 bucks haha. i dont think im gonna frag the sun coral just yet, it needs to heal and regrow its polyps. they didnt feed it at the fish store and thats why they gave it to me for only 25 bucks when it would normally be 45. maybe a lil later.

o yea and i used some medication my dad had in my 55 gallon and my green terror seems to be slowly bouncing back. yay!

they're great, I've got them sitting up on top of my top rock right under the lights and they look astonishingly blue...very nice, thanks again

now, I've got to find something to stick them to the rock so those snails won't knock them off

yea mine always were dull cuz i couldnt find a high enough spot to put them in the light and i didnt like them very much in my tank. im glad you like them! haha im sure youll have much more coming your way as all my stuff starts to outgrow my minnow bucket. o well my loss is your gain haha. the super glue i used held them there but when i went to take them off i was expecting a really tough fight and it was actually really easy. i just picked the frag off with my hands no prying or anything. i htink super glue gel starts to kinda lose its hold after it sits in salt water for a while.

I posted a question last night in the Beginner's Forum as to what to use to temporarily hold corals in place with the intentions of moving them later. So far only two responses, both said to use either superglue or the two part epoxy. I was really hoping for something like bubblegum.

yea my hermit crab died and the nitrates went through the roof.

i doubt a hermit crab crashed a 3 gallon tank, lol. i've had fish die without being removed in a 2.5 gallon and a 5 gallon tank and neither even caused a hiccup in my water chemistry, much less a hermit.

yea but this was over like 5 days with no water change or top off or anything and the nitrates were already a lil bit high so yea that can do some damage.

ah i gurantee the nitrates were high due to bacterial die off from the increased salinity after 5 days of evap, which would have also killed off many micro-crustaceans and possibly a few corals, and hermit crabs. i HAVE had that happen when my dufus brother "forgot" to top off my tank while i was on vacation :).

but anyway the new tank looks good :D

yea luckily none of my corals died thank goodness. i would not be happy to say the least haha. thanks for the complement, i think im finally satisfied with it. i was never too crazy about the 3 gallon and witht he extra room i finally really like it. im getting another nassarius and possibly a red mithrax crab and a margarita snail. i cant wait!

Archived