Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fans too loud on your Aquapod 12G? Here is a easy fix

jmilcher

Nice, but why not just replace the fans with quieter ones?

Good question! A few answers, the fan mate was free for me, and I like to have complete control over the sound.

This tank is in my living room, and even "quieter" fans are untolerable sometimes.

Plus, no matter what fan you choose, even silenX fans are pretty audible @ 12V, you have complete control over the sound.

On 5V the stock fan still moves plenty of air, and is absolutely not audible at all.

Must be my custom computer building background, I am a real DIY'er!

stoney waters
Since the fans only cool the ballasts (and NOT your tank) these can be fine tuned and turned down a bit to take the edge off of the noise.

Its true that the fans won't directly cool the water, but they do exhaust the heated air from the canopy, thus keeping it from being transfered to the water column.

Keep an eye on temps. Most moders have found that higher cfm's will actually help keep their tanks cooler.

Its true that the fans won't directly cool the water, but they do exhaust the heated air from the canopy, thus keeping it from being transfered to the water column.

Keep an eye on temps. Most moders have found that higher cfm's will actually help keep their tanks cooler.

Actually, after dis assembling the light canopy, it is air tight, there is absolutely no access for the air between the surface and the tank to be exhauseted by the fan(s)

It is 100% air tight. That fan simply cools the ballasts as stated.

The fan pulls air from outside (the opposite fan area) and exhausts directly out of the hood... It is a complete sealed unit.

stoney waters

Again, the fans are used to cool the internal area of the hood. A cooler hood means less heat can be transfered to the water. By slowing down the fans you could possibly be raising the temps within the hood.

Actually the lamps will produce much more heat than the ballast. A good amount of air is needed to exhaust the heat.

Archived