Cultivated Reef

I like coral, do you like coral?

agears

I just ordered several corals from etropicals.com and recevied them today. I'm not sure if my brain coral is okay or not. It's secreting a weird stringy mucus now. A good chunk of the lower right hand area is dead (I think). Is that normal/okay? Was it damaged during shipping? Will it grow back over the top of it? Should I send it back? Any help would be appreciated. I couldn't find this specific topic under the search function.

Here is a picture of it under actinic lighting:

brain.jpg

And here is it with full PC and you can see the secretion:

brain2.jpg

Sad day. Secretions = usually bad. usually colorful coral suddenly not looking so colorful = worse. deadspots that big = a piece of brain skeleton out of a life rock tank would've been cheaper. :)

Contact them I think they have a 14 Day Arrive Alive, Stay Alive®, Risk-Free Guarantee. They will send you a new coral.

your brain will be fine, i've seen a lot worse. if you have a turkey baster carefully bast off the mucus so it doesn't irritate the polyps and keep up with your water changes. when you get it back to good health it should start to grow over the dead skeleton.

travisurfer

i agree. i've heard of many corals recovering from just the skeleton when nothing was supposedly in there. i nursed a brain back from being bleached and it just takes time.

One Eyed Bunny
i agree. i've heard of many corals recovering from just the skeleton when nothing was supposedly in there. i nursed a brain back from being bleached and it just takes time.

Although I agree completely, I would not want to pay full price for a piece of coral shipped to me like that. It's similar to buying a used textbook for a brand-new textbook price.

Here is what they said:

Thank you for your email. No it is not common for corals to be received with a dead portion on it. From the picture you sent us the coral itself looks great

it is just stressed. We recommend keeping an eye on the coral it should color

back up just fine. We have placed a note on your order that you are watching

the coral at this point. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Would they even want it back? I'm thinking I may try to get them to send me a new one, and I'll try to nurse this one back to health as well.

Although I agree completely, I would not want to pay full price for a piece of coral shipped to me like that. It's similar to buying a used textbook for a brand-new textbook price.
Here is what they said:

Would they even want it back? I'm thinking I may try to get them to send me a new one, and I'll try to nurse this one back to health as well.

i don't think they are going to let you keep two. you might have to send that one back before you get the new one.

Oh, by the way..to answer the rhetorical question posed by the name of the thread..

no, we all hate coral. :)

I HATE coral thats why I set up a reef tank!

One Eyed Bunny
i don't think they are going to let you keep two. you might have to send that one back before you get the new one.

Agreed. Call'em up and ask for a swap or refund.

Archived