inTank Media Baskets

Most popular question

seastar12

Ok, I know it's probably been asked a million times, but I'll ask it again:

After I started my 12 gallon I got a yellow damsel, after that I got a lunare wrasse(I know, I know, It was an impulse buy). After that I found out that lunare wrasses get huge and aren't reef safe. I then sold my wrasse for the reasons previously stated, and my damsel because it was boring, to the lfs. I got an oscelleris clown fish which died of ich(I think). Then came a green chromis, which I liked, but I found a hermit eating it one morning. So it was either attacked while sleeping, or it died and then the hermit began eating it. My question, what fish do you YOU think I should get?

P.S. I know I probably couldn't because of the size of my tank, but I would love to have a scholl of fish(i.e. 3 damsels).

Thanks, but I've read it before, and I'd like to know YOUR personal suggestions about marine critters and their personalities.

P.S. Hope that didn't come out to snobby.

First off what are the parameters of your tank, Ammonia, pH, Nitrate, nitrite, salinity etc. Age of system?

I know you want everyones opinion of how you should stock your tank but you need to look at this in the form of an art question. Which is exactly what this hobby is about. Yeah I could tell you to get a few firefish but in a way it makes your tank my design. Another way to look at it is modification of a car I like to put clean looking mods on my car to change it's looks in a very low key way while someone else might want to paint their car Yellow or spray paint black primer. Really I would start looking at other peoples tank photos in the members section and gallery I'm sure there are many 12g nano cube photos and decide for yourself what would look good. Of course there is a balance of what looks good and what won't eat eachother. If your looking for a good reef safe fish I'd look into some blenny or gobies. Of course you can go the route of a tomato clown which is usually a crowd pleaser. Again, it's an art form when it comes to fish choice same as Aquascaping and coral choice and positioning.

yeah i wouldnt get any fish... your like the little girl in finding nemo

Oh be nice.

It's not necessarily something you've done wrong that's killing your fish.

Start out by posting water parameters, that'll tell us real quick. And if you don't know what those are, we're in trouble.

I'll just assume the best and figure your water parameters are fine..here's a few other things.

Tank raised clown or no? I've found that very few tank-raised clowns develop ich, that's just my experience.

And where did the damsel come from? There's a reason they're like $4. They die easy. A damsel is like the (don't hate me, I'm going somewhere with this..) neon tetra of a mini-reef. Everyone loves them, everyone buys a fleet of them when they get their first saltwater tank, and they die. It's a "disposable fish" as far as most people are concerned. Get your damsels from a reliable source, and hopefully they'll stick around for a while.

Thanks for all of the replies. The only two fish who died were the clown and the chromis. The chromis was killed by a hermit. Though I'll have to admit that the clown's death was probably my fault. It was wild-caught. My parameters are:

temp 77- 84

nitrite 0

nitrate 15

salinity 1.022

ph 8.3

I think I'll go with three green chromis. I'll have to get rid of the hermits. I also wanted to note that after the clownfish died I waited almost a month before I got the chromis.

Thanks for all of the replies. The only two fish who died were the clown and the chromis. The chromis was killed by a hermit. Though I'll have to admit that the clown's death was probably my fault. It was wild-caught. I'll try to get my current parameters asap. I think I'll go with three green chromis. I'll have to get rid of the hermits. I also wanted to note that after the clownfish died I waited almost a month before I got the chromis.

Is this just a regular red hermit crab we're talking about? I've never seen one fast enough to grab a damsel, even at night. Maybe a green chromis, they're not -as- quick as the others, but still. I could be wrong. It's usually my experience that crabs will grab dead and dying before swimming quickly.

I strongly doubt a scarlet hermit would catch a live fish...

it was already dead, then the crab started eating

It was a blue legged hermit.

Think of it this way..

A buzzard is too ganky and awkward to swoop down and kill an antelope. it just lets nature take its course and then picks up the pieces.

The crab is like that too. Ganky. =P I like that.

If you're having any doubts about this...try something:

Go to a hardware store, buy a BRUTE trashcan (rubbermaid!), and squish it onto your butt so you've got this big trashcan sort of tail goin on..

then go catch a feral cat while wearing the trashcan. :)

I'll agree with the fish died and Clean up crew was trying to do their job. Hermit crabs are slow, I've never seen a hermit fast enough to catch a fish.

One Eyed Bunny
Think of it this way..

A buzzard is too ganky and awkward to swoop down and kill an antelope. it just lets nature take its course and then picks up the pieces.

The crab is like that too. Ganky. =P I like that.

If you're having any doubts about this...try something:

Go to a hardware store, buy a BRUTE trashcan (rubbermaid!), and squish it onto your butt so you've got this big trashcan sort of tail goin on..

then go catch a feral cat while wearing the trashcan. :)

What a post to wake up to.

hahaha I laughed at that post. good times, that would make a hilarious youtube video. :lol:

i think your salinity is slightly on the low side, but i doubt that could kill a fish. It wasn't the hermit. hermits are a shady bunch but they can't trap and kill a healthy fish.

Archived