SaltCritters.com

25 tall anemone tank

SCUBA BUZZ

ok the first thing i would like to say is please dont flam ive been in this hobby for a while now and i am well aware of the nature of anemones and all that :)

I have had this 25 up and runing for over a year now and it have a nice mix soft and LPS corals in it. the tank is very stable i have never missed a top up any day (even when i travel i have a tank sitter).

my plan is to move my current lighting (96 quad and 2 x 18 watt actinics for sunset) onto my 25 long i just ordered a 250 watt 14k halide that will be going over the tall i want to move my reef to the long because im running out of room in the tall and dedicate the tall to an anemone/clown tank (one species of clowns one species of anemones)

ok so heres the question:

1) what anemone/clown combo is the cheepiest and or easiest to keep?

2) has anyone else kept a tank like this if so what was your successes and failures

3) how long should i let the tank sit after removing the corals before adding the anemones and clowns?

thanks folks

oh ps i run an AC fuge with submersable light and cheato and have a skimmer at my disposal if necessary

Chupacabras

Why would you be flamed for that question? You're asking before you buy, that's the important thing :).

What are the 25 tall's dimensions? Like 24" x 12" x 20"? Should be just fine for a BTA (entacmaea quadricolor). The others are a little tougher to keep in that size tank because it's not very deep (front to back) but works well since BTA's are rockdwellers and tank height is more important.

Get whatever clowns you want for the tank, though I'd consider something from either the skunk or percula complex as the rest probably get a little big eventually for a 25.

Once you move the corals out, do a water change to get any slime that the irritated corals may have left and move the 'nem in.

i was thinking BTA but i want to have about 3 or 4 of them and they are pricey here in town i might end up ordering them (I do have $200 in store credit from frags and other stuff though) BTA and precs do match and I can get both of them captive bred which is important to me.

24x12x20 is the dimensions

Chupacabras

BTA's can get pretty big, you certainly don't need three or four of them... one should be enough.

Edit: Genetically dissimilar BTA's don't usually do very well when put in close proximity to each other, either. Clones do just fine next to each other though.

Great and really good to know what about RBTA? I guess i have just never seen them get that big that kind of light and regular feedings how fast should i anticipate its growth, the reason i ask is i was once told the anemone should be 3 to 4 x as big as the biggest clown hosting in it

Chupacabras

All the same goes for RBTA's, too.

They grow pretty quickly when given good light and fed every other day; my last one was about 10" across the oral disk before it split and they get those sizes pretty quickly. BTA's that don't split can get to 14(ish) inches across the oral disk.

I don't know where the whole three times as wide as the largest clown in the pair recommendation originated, I've heard it many times myself but don't put a lick of stock in it. Maybe that's an okay recommendation for a really aggressive hostee like the maroon or brown saddle clown but shouldn't need any more than 1x the length of the largest fish in the pair when talking the BTA.

ok i just called the LFS to see if he can get RBTA's he called his supplier and long storry shot unless hes prepared to order 20+ priority goes to the bigger stores on those (odd concidering he gets some of the coolest corals ive ever seen) any ideas on gett in a RBTA? is that what i see in ur icon? he can get green and plain BTA's @ $35 CAD each 3"- 4" the only thing im worried about is buying a green and then having a red one come in stock and then im stuck with the delima of trying to get the other one out

Chupacabras

Yes, that's my old rose BTA.

Personally, I think green BTA's look better with clowns due to the contrasting colors... as for where to get one in Canada, I dunno, maybe some Canuck will answer that one for you.

lol you know the more i look at the green ones the more i like them this tank will be relativly cheep by my price structure (way less then corals lol)

what do you think about clarkii's and a green bta?

Chupacabras

I'd really advise against the clarkii's, they just get too darn big and belligerent for the tank footprint. Pink skunks are really attractive and would look fantastic in a GBTA... that's the way I'd go with it.

ok the only question is availability. If i can get pink skunks i would. i find percs are just not real cool hosting clowns (eventhough mine hosts the #ell out of the giant open brain in my tank) so id rather stay away from them eventhough i like kids to scream NEMO! when they see my tank.

I could see myself going skunks and GBTA now and i hope my lfs can get them as ordering is rather difficult in Canada

Archived