Top Shelf Aquatics

JBJ "Modular Surface Skimmer"

BigAl07

What's the "census" on the Modular Surface Skimmer for the Nano-Cubes? My 12g DX came with it in the kit (even though it's offered as an ADDITIONAL item from some places). I am about to order the LR and heater for this unit and was about to order some type of skimmer. My plans are to add a "refuge" to the middle section and I don't know if there is enough room back there for

Heater

Pump

Refuge

and a Skimmer...

So I was wondering is this Modular Surface Skimmer is even worth fooling with.

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Donations?

Allen

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

The modular surface skimmer is useful if there is not much surface agitation or flow. Personally, I don't use it because I have two mj1200's at the surface of the tank which keeps the water line crystal clear, and both of my powerheads are hooked up to wavemakers, and the surface skimmer falls off when the pump in the chamber turns off.

The modular surface skimmer is useful if there is not much surface agitation or flow. Personally, I don't use it because I have two mj1200's at the surface of the tank which keeps the water line crystal clear, and both of my powerheads are hooked up to wavemakers, and the surface skimmer falls off when the pump in the chamber turns off.

You have TWO MJ1200's inside your 12g cube? Or is your Cube larger? I can see where it would simply fall off without the pump to hold it on tight. I plan on putting a small "speck" of super glue to anchor. Just enough to maintain it to the intake but still small enough to where it can be "released" for cleaning/maintenance reasons.

What do you have in what chamber in the back?

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

I have the 24g cube. The wavemaker eliminates the heat from the mj's so much that the temperature does not even increase one degree. In the first chamber, I have one sponge with a bag of phosban on the bottom (I plan on hooking it up to the phosban reactor) In the second chamber is my Tunze nano protein skimmer, which just about takes up the entire chamber, and in the third chamber is my heater and maxi-jet. The other maxi-jet is external.

Sounds like an AWESOME set-up! I may have to bookmark your posts and use your ideas for my next Cube project!

Allen :)

Archived