Pod Your Reef

Pico coral help.

Soulfly1735

Soulfly1735

My girlfriends mother has had her 3g running for 3 months with live sand and rock. She has a 12" 18w Compact light with stock filter and a Rio 50. All test levels are pefrect in the tank. She bought a mushroom this weekend at the LFS, and when we added the mushroom, is started to have a string like substance come out of it, and by morning the mushroom was completely gone. What could have killed the mushroom? The light was never turned on. Could it have been the water flow from the Rio 50?

Could it have been the water flow from the Rio 50?

First how was it acclimated? and was the flow from the rio hitting it directly?

Soulfly1735
First how was it acclimated? and was the flow from the rio hitting it directly?

It floated in the bag for about 30 minutes. The rio is in the left corner, and she put the mushroom in the middle of the front.

Maybe acclimation was a little poor. I've always float he bag for 15 minutes and then discard about 30% of water that came with the coral and replace it with my tank's water and repeat after 5 minutes. That way the salinity and ph levels of the water in the bag are most likely the same from the tank's and prevent a shocking entrance for corals. Maybe I'm wrong... It could be damaged at the LFS. It's a little weird though... it was so fast

Soulfly1735
Maybe acclimation was a little poor. I've always float he bag for 15 minutes and then discard about 30% of water that came with the coral and replace it with my tank's water and repeat after 5 minutes. That way the salinity and ph levels of the water in the bag are most likely the same from the tank's and prevent a shocking entrance for corals. Maybe I'm wrong... It could be damaged at the LFS. It's a little weird though... it was so fast

We took water out of the bag after about 20 minutes then added tank water, and repeated like you did. I do that on my own tank 50g. We both buy water from the same LFS, and I know that guy that works there once told me that the pre-mixed R/O Saltwater they sell is that same inside there store. I was wondering the same thing if it may be damage from the LFS because I have never had a problem with anything from them and they are pretty much the best shop here in Phoenix. When she bought them and got them home they were really weak looking compared to when they were in the store.

Oh well. maybe some damage occurred in the way back home or at the LFS. Maybe the coral was not healthy. It would be weird if there something wrong in that tank since it was set up for three months with just LR and LS. I'd try for another coral. Maybe she's lucky this time. I think you did well, the mushroom just wasn't healthy. Good luck with the pico.

brent-konieczny

Are you absolutely sure the mushroom is dead? They sometimes un-attach if they are in an uncomfortable spot. They then float around the tank until they settle in a better spot. Sometimes they will float and drift into the cracks between your rockwork. I've had it happen several times and sometimes the mushrooms are hard to find. Anyways, about the stringy substance coming out of a mushroom's mouth. That is all their internal organ junk and it is normal for them to let a little hang out for a while if they are handled, in an unfavorable position, or have been recently fragged by cutting. By the way, I only temerature acclimate any coral purchases I make. As long as your tank water has good parameters the corals acclimate well.

I bet if you look real hard you may find the missing mushroom. Good luck :)

Soulfly1735
Are you absolutely sure the mushroom is dead? They sometimes un-attach if they are in an uncomfortable spot. They then float around the tank until they settle in a better spot. Sometimes they will float and drift into the cracks between your rockwork. I've had it happen several times and sometimes the mushrooms are hard to find. Anyways, about the stringy substance coming out of a mushroom's mouth. That is all their internal organ junk and it is normal for them to let a little hang out for a while if they are handled, in an unfavorable position, or have been recently fragged by cutting. By the way, I only temerature acclimate any coral purchases I make. As long as your tank water has good parameters the corals acclimate well.

I bet if you look real hard you may find the missing mushroom. Good luck :)

Ya, I figured maybe he jumped and left also, but i have found nothing. The only thing left is a little nub on the rock where the mushroom originally was.

Thanks for all the help.

yeah i dont think acclimation is the problem... i just throw mushrooms and rics right in the water after temp acclimation... i had a mushroom kind of do the same thing on me where it left a nub behind... its now a small mushroom.. and i found the big one down the rock abit in a little crevase (sp?)... if it left any part behind i think it will grow a new head

Archived