Cultivated Reef

My Aquapod 24G 150W HQI and Introduction

jaba

Hi everyone. My name is J from the O.C. I started this hobby almost 2 weeks ago and am looking forward to the joys of reef keeping. Been interested in this hobby for over 2 years and it was only now that i decided to get into it.

I currently leave the HQI light on 8-10 hours every day starting at 12 pm and use the led lights at night. I also used Sea Chem Stability for the first 7 days and Nano Reef Part A and B for the first 10 days as well. I haven't been putting any chemicals since yesterday and plan just to cycle it naturally after all those chemicals.

Parameters have been stable since yesterday:

Ph 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Alkalinity 4

Temp 78F

I'll give it a week and begin testing my parameters again.

My current set up includes the following:

24G Aquapod

150W HQI

C-220 Marineland Canister Filter (took out bio-balls and replaced with phosphate remover)

Seachem Purigen

5-6 Bioballs

20 lbs live rock (some coraline growing)

20 lbs live sand

4 Nassarius snails (Barely a week of cycling but they survived)

50 watt thermometer Marineland

Future plans:

Tunze Skimmer

Cheato Refuge

Sump (Necessary?)

Anywho, I just wanted to get your opinions and suggestions on how to go about building my tank. I want to make it more of a coral/reef tank with about 6 fishes, 4 snails, and 3 shrimps. Right now, I'm at the most difficult stage of reef keeping: the waiting game.

Any comments and suggestions on how I can improve my tank would be appreciated. There's no such thing as a bullet proof tank but I want to prevent any disaster or bad sh!t from occuring as much as possible. Thanks everyone and I'll be lurking in this site pretty often.

thats a pretty nice set up, only thing is 6 fish may be a little much unless its like 6 small gobies or something. what are you plannin on keeping as far as corals go? are you able to get pics of the tank up?

oh and u'll be on this site more than pretty often, it's almost as addicting as the hobby

thats a pretty nice set up, only thing is 6 fish may be a little much unless its like 6 small gobies or something. what are you plannin on keeping as far as corals go? are you able to get pics of the tank up?

oh and u'll be on this site more than pretty often, it's almost as addicting as the hobby

As for fish, I plan on getting 2 clowns, a fire fish, and the rest would be small docile fishes (whatever that may be). I only have about 3-4 in fishes in mind with 6 fishes being my maximum allowance. I am still reading up on reef keeping, there's just so much information out there. Now with corals, I don't have anything specific in mind. I just want to end up with an aquarium filled with a substantial amount of corals rich in colors in a year and a half's time. So, I'm willing to spend on some nice pieces as i slowly and gradually build my tank.

I'll try to get the pics of the tank up by tonight.

Archived