Top Shelf Aquatics

Just bought a BC14 - Need Advice

Dave83

I decided to downsize my 50g tank with 20g sump to a nano. I decided that a nano would be easier to manage and take up less space.

I ordered a BC14 with matching stand after reading about them on this forum. I have done some reading on this forum about how to set it up more efficiently. I have quite a bit of equipment from my larger tank that I may be able to use with this one.

I am not going to bother with the bio-balls and am going to replace them with live rock rubble. Other than that what other filter modifications will I need to get it started? I also have a 50watt tronic heater. Would it fit in the first chamber of the tank?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the nano world.

Thanks,

Dave

Most people are putting heater and chemi-pure in chamber 1, filter floss on top of drip tray in chamber 2, over top of LR. I believe most are opening up the overflow from chamber 1 to 2 to get more flow. With the LR in chamber 2 you will fill up the back chambers and don't worry about the min/max water line on the outside of chamber 3.

Make sense?

coral_addict
I decided to downsize my 50g tank with 20g sump to a nano. I decided that a nano would be easier to manage and take up less space.

I ordered a BC14 with matching stand after reading about them on this forum. I have done some reading on this forum about how to set it up more efficiently. I have quite a bit of equipment from my larger tank that I may be able to use with this one.

I am not going to bother with the bio-balls and am going to replace them with live rock rubble. Other than that what other filter modifications will I need to get it started? I also have a 50watt tronic heater. Would it fit in the first chamber of the tank?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the nano world.

Thanks,

Dave

Do a search on BioCube. You will get all the different threads on step by step. Most ppl have similar configurations only a couple of minor changes. HTH

coral_addict
should i remove the filter cartridge that comes in chamber 1?

Yes and No. You can remove it or you can modify it. You can remove it and just put filter floss on top of the 2nd chamber top grate or you can modify the factory filter by dremeling out the floss and carbon and use the plastic to hold just filter floss that you can get at Walmart for $2-3 for an Entire Pillow size! Then you add a bag of Chemipure into any of the Chamber for Carbon. Check out the thread from Rev138 on his BC14 or the others guys. They will show you a step by step on how to do it.

I replaced the filter with polyfilter. I cut about an inch off the side of it and it slides right in. Heater in chamber 1 as well. Made the overflow from chamber 1 to 2 wider for more flow. Porous rubble in chamber 2, and topped off with a purigen bag then clamped down with the top plastic screen that chamber 2 comes with. Upgraded the pump in chamber 3 with a maxjet 900. Removed the top and upgraded the 70w 16.5" metal halide lighting system Sunpod. The corals love the lighting upgrade. Filled tank with enough water so that the water levels are full in all chambers. (reduces noise)

Archived