Top Shelf Aquatics

pipefish crazy

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well i took a trip to toronto today specificly to pick up some leafy sea dragons.

thier hard to find (somewhat impossible) but i was assured they were there.

well to make a long story short, they weren't. needless to say the story doesnt end there.

they did have a fantastic selection of pipefish. and well as much as i hate to admit it i purchased way to many. :) looks like i'll be removing my banggai and wrasse from the system (possibly my clowns) to help ease the bioload.

so i came home with

4 ghost pipe fish (spikey one)

IMG_4070.jpg

2 tiny little blue banded pipes

IMG_4073.jpg

2 tiny red dragons (they dont swim they crawl around the bottom of the aquarium)

IMG_4075.jpg

and 2 green dragon face pipes (notice the one is pregnant)

IMG_4076.jpg

so if you havent noticed them in the pic's, when i got home the bag's where crawling with baby pipes.(tiny hair like critters)

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

i'll be spending the night plumbing an extra 10g to the system, catching fish to return to the lfs and hatching baby brine.

what a day! its like my b-day all over again. i was blown away to find the hundreds of baby pipes floating in the bag.

i believe the pipe starting giving birth in the lfs. my friend who drove to toronto also had a bunch of baby pipes in his bag o stuff. i figure when the bag's where filled at the lfs the baby pipes where syphened into the bags from the surface of the aquarium. the females continued to give birth, she still has baby pipes dangling from her.

Headless_donkey

That is super cool. From what I understand sea dragons need a HUGE tank(10'x6'x6'). Be sure to keep the tank cool because pipefish carry tons of diseases.

HD, none of those are seadragons. And pipefish don't carry any more diseases than other fish.

Icy, AWESOME score!--and babies, too! Be gentle with those ghost pipes, which are extremely delicate. Keep the water PRISTINE!

that is awesome, never see them at any lfs around here, im assuming theyre similar to sea horses as far as their diet and water quality?

and are the leafy sea dragons the ones that are all different colors and crazy body structure? if so, i really wish they had them when you went.

Leafy seadragons are "Near-threatened" and are CITES I. You cannot buy them. You can VERY OCCASIONALLY get weedy seadragons, and they'll run around $1000-2000 WHOLESALE ($3000-6000 retail).

NEAR THREATENED (NT)

A taxon is Near Threatened when it has been evaluated against the criteria but does not qualify for Critically Endangered, Endangered or Vulnerable now, but is close to qualifying for or is likely to qualify for a threatened category in the near future.

Huh. Figured they were actually endangered.

Leafy:

gallery_main.jpg

Weedy:

100931-Weedy-Seadragon-0.jpg

Just google, silly, jeez. The frilly ones he has are GHOST PIPEFISH.

ya the shed aquarium in chicago has a huge cylinder tank with the leafys, and another one with the weedy's, theyre really awesome lookin. 3000 to 6000 bucks? thats crazy talk...why google when i can just sit here and have someone google for me :D ...silly....how bout feeding habits and stuff, same as sea horses?

For pipefish, yes. I'd had great success feeding pipefish frozen (thawed) Cyclopeeze instead of brine, and frozen/thawed mysis for larger ones.

could i fit any pipefish in a 5.5 gallon reef? (their is a half inch randall's goby who wouldn't bother the pipefish, I've got some major filtration so bioload isnt a problem as i keep my system as perfect as possible. just curious if this would be at all possible.)

please excuse me while i pick my jaw off the floor. amazing fish! My fave of the bunch has to be the ghost (I WANT ONE!! *pouts*). btw the ghost pipefish is aka the false pipefish. This is because it really isn't a pipefish technically. But you might as well treat it as one since they're close enough in most regards.

Although they are very closely related to seahorses, pipefish are more delicate. please be careful with them. but hell you probably know more about them than i do!

I love sea dragons as much as the next person but please people, don't buy them. It's like buying a blue ribbon eel. It will probably die and youll be out a couple grand or so for no reason. but more importantly they are nearly endangered! I don't believe that keeping these kind of animals is ethical as a reefer. leave them for the occasional public aquarium or, better yet, in the ocean. but that's just my opinion, I know some don't agree and just buy whatever they want.

The African bluestripes (excisus, not janssi) would work well. 2" fully-grown. You could do a pair, but make sure they're paired up at the lfs--two males will fight to the death. Wouldn't do any other species, even the classic banded pipes. I had one (Wesley Pipes) in a ten, and it was saddeningly cramped. They take readily to Cyclopeeze and pick pods all day.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

yeah none of them are leafy sea dragons. :) i was pretty sure the only places able to get thier hands on leafy/weedy sea dragons where public aquariums/ labs for breeding/display purposes, but my budy assured me they had them.

in his defence the ghost pipes kinda do look like leaves floating. lol

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

the ghost pipes are in my main system, all the other pipes went into this 5.5g temp home (all the pipes are very small)

IMG_4106.jpg

due to the size of the baby pipes, theres no filtration in the aquarium. a 1/8" air hose syphens the water out of my display and it simply overflows (via the bulkhead) down into my sump. this is mainly for ease of feeding (i have live baby brine/live rotifers) even the blue banded pipes are probably too small for larger foods.

i think the tiny blue banded are my fav's

IMG_4119.jpg

and a quick shot of the proud mother.

IMG_4124.jpg

my orange banded pipes (the ones i've had for sometime) eat pe mysis as a staple food, but are often treated to rotifers,live brine,cyclopeeze as well as the hoards of pods and live mysis in my ref.

i wouldn't risk a pipe in a 5g (unless connected to a larger system) chances are when you get the pipe you'll have to ween it to frozen foods. a 5.5g wont support enough live foods for a pipefish that hasn't learned to eat frozen foods.

if you find a small one that eats frozen(like the blue or red ones i picked up1-2") you could probably keep it in the 5.5g for a while, but you will have to maintain very stable conditions.

hey caesar, any other tricks/tips on keeping the ghost pipes happy? my water quality is top notch.

btw

ghost pipes-$25 canadian

pipes-$10-$20

its probably the main reason i purchased so many. :) definatly worth the 5 hours of drive time.

Frankly, not much is known on them. The fact that they survived shipping at all--twice--is a good sign, though. My wholesaler said that they usually die when being shipped to him, and just dissolve. Being shipped again to the LFS, and living through that and getting to your tank, all good signs. I hear they don't accept frozen probably 99% of the time. Maybe try to find live mysids, although I'll bet there are a ton of pods in that planted tank. :) Good luck with all of them! :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

thank you.

my system is crawling with mysis,pods,rotifers etc. they should love it.

so far so good, all 4 are just hanging around. :)

couple more pic's

the parents (they'll be moved to the horse tank as soon as she dumps the rest of the baby pipes)

IMG_4129.jpg

and the infants (incredibly hard to capture on film-even with a magnifing glass)

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

Fishfreak218

NICE pipefish! although hate to be a down-er but chances of those ghost pipefish living are slim to none...

good luck though... i dont know of anyone keeping one alive for long periods of time (even on www.seahorse.org and www.syngnathid.org)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
NICE pipefish! although hate to be a down-er but chances of those ghost pipefish living are slim to none...

good luck though... i dont know of anyone keeping one alive for long periods of time (even on www.seahorse.org and www.syngnathid.org)

i've been told it will be quite the challange. i sure hope they make it. i've seen 3 of 4 eat. i guess only time will tell. i bought 4 hoping at least a couple would survive. if they dont make it, it wont be for lack of effort.

i wouldn't risk a pipe in a 5g (unless connected to a larger system) chances are when you get the pipe you'll have to ween it to frozen foods. a 5.5g wont support enough live foods for a pipefish that hasn't learned to eat frozen foods.

if you find a small one that eats frozen(like the blue or red ones i picked up1-2") you could probably keep it in the 5.5g for a while, but you will have to maintain very stable conditions.

So the hard part is getting it to eat frozen? I've had good luck with this aspect of aquaria, two dragonets both eating mysis within a month of me buying them. would mysis be a good choice to try to get it to eat? Also I have a well established pod supplemented 29g that i could swap rocks with while I'm trying to get it to go for frozen. really cool buy. I really like the ghost pipes, i've never seen anything like those.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

mysis would be a good choice for alot of pipes, however the blue banded pipes are very small. cyclopeeze is probably a more suited food (unless you have mysis spawning in the aquarium) its easy enough to do. just purchase/add a bottle to the aquarium.

if you want to try frozen mysis, make sure you purchase the baby mysis.

keeper, picked em up from nafb.

so banded pipes are out of the question? and i looked up the ghost pipefish, couldnt find too much about them, just alot of pics, whats the min. tank size for one of those?

For a 5-gallon tank, the only type you can keep is the bluestripes. I already said that. They will take to Cyclopeeze within the first few days. Always. I've dealt with dozens.

What are the ghosts eating, Icy?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

not sure caesar, they just head down into the algae and start snapping thier jaw. its either copepods, rotifers or baby mysis (i have live culture of each in the system) i have other live foods also, but i figure since i cant see what thier eating its probably one of the smaller foods in my system.

all 4 are still hanging out today.

the dragon face and blue banded are eating frozen rotifers. i havent seen the red guys eat yet.

as for the dragon pipes. i think she's completely ditch all the babies (shes not fat anymore) and the aquarium is crawling with infant pipes.

day 1 everybody survived acclimation.

Archived