SaltCritters.com

Lets start with my rocks...

spazizz

Ok so im still kinda new to nano reef tanks, ive got 5.5 g tank, its been running for about 3 months now, doing pretty well i think. In the tank i got two snails, two scarlet hermit crabs and a orange skunk clown fish. I also have one lonely little polyp. There is probaly about five pounds of live rock in that tank.

-Im just having trouble being satisfied with how my live rocks are set up, (ill try to get some pictures up soon.) There any certain ways the rocks should be set up?

-Yeah so ive heard that if you hear clicking sounds from the tank it could be a mantis shrimp? but ive looked all over couldnt find nothing, its so annoying though! CLICK CLICK CLICK!!! Could it be something else that im over looking?

-Im thinking about getting a royal gramma soon, or is the royal gramma and clown to much for my tank?

-i dont know what to do about corals and stuff though because they are all so expensive and i cant afford any of well, so my tanks is pretty plain. (im just 17 and no one will hire me for a job) Any ideas?

i think thats bout it.

B) thanks

If you're concerned its a mantis or pistol shrimp just take the rock out of the water for a few mins, chances are it will come out or maybe you'll see it in the tank with the rock out.

The pink skunk clown by itself is way too much for a 5.5. Look into lgreen's nanofish guide in the beginner's forum, i think.

firstimereefer

The clicking could be from a pistol shrimp which is preatty harmless unless someone gets in its way. The clicking could be a hermit getting too close to one of its tunnels. As far as fish go, I think a royal gramma and the clown are way too much for that tank, and the clown alone is a lot. If you are thinking about another fish i would get some kind of really small goby, but skunk clowns get to be 5 inches way too big for your tank imho. I would try an ocelaris or true perc if any clown goes in that small of a tank. IF you are looking at putting multiple fish in your tank think about small gobies ie trimma, cleaner, or shrimp gobies or upgrade to a 10 gallon. Did you fish stored sell you the skunk clown saying it would be ok in your tank? If so dont go bakc there. This is a good thread for fish ideas for your tank http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703 and skunk clown is listed as 20G +. Keep redoing your rock work it took my like 5 times to get it how I liked it. YOu can also find people selling cheap frags of coral on here in the classified section, I got some from floorlord that were nice. Good luck :D and WELCOME TO NR.

if it does end up being a mantis have you considered keeping it in the reef? That's my plan. A mantis reef with a small G. smithii mantis. believe it or not they are actually semi reef safe! one of my friends has a mantis reef and he got to see his mantis chilling out in his frogspawn!

hey thanks every one, hmmm poor skunk i dont know what to do with it now, its only bout a inch long, i bought thinking it would get at the most 3 inches, but yeah did my research it gets bigger.

The trials and errors of reefing..

firstimereefer
hey thanks every one, hmmm poor skunk i dont know what to do with it now, its only bout a inch long, i bought thinking it would get at the most 3 inches, but yeah did my research it gets bigger.

The trials and errors of reefing..

See if the fish store will take it back and give you store credit for it.

Ill see what i can do about the clown...

hmmm maybe ill upgrade to my ten gallon fresh water tank i have... Only thing that makes me unsure about that idea is i spent what i had on the set up for a 5g tank... So i guess its just some thing i have to think about...

Where'd I go?? :D No pics... your next question: how to post pics? Set up a photo bucket account, upload, and copy img code into your post... hth! :D

Where'd I go?? :D No pics... your next question: how to post pics? Set up a photo bucket account, upload, and copy img code into your post... hth! :D

ok well im gonna try to find tha tphot bucket thing and try to load the pics up..

okay well i put one my pics in the gallery i think this link will work.. idk.

DSCF1713.JPG

DSCF1711.JPG

DSCF1716.JPG

DSCF1717.JPG

hope they worked...

oh yeah i found some one who can take my clown, a teacher at my school! ha he has a 30g tank so i think the clown willl be much happier. yeps.

thanks for the advice every one.

Archived