SaltCritters.com

RSM or BC29

snake plissken

snake plissken

I can get a Oceanic BC29 and stand for $400+tax at the LFS.

or i can order online and get a RSM and stand for aprox $650 (with shipping).

is the RSM worth another $250? you get 5 more gallons capacity, 110 watts (vs 72 with the BC29) and a protein skimmer included.

i could save money and get the BC29 but everybody on this forum(who know much more than myslef, the novice) seems to immediately get a $150 skimmer for it and order a lighting upgrade form nanotuners.com. so then i am right at the same price point as the RSM if i upgrade

I have seen the BC29 setup at the 2 LFS and it is sweet. 2 stores in my area have them with the stock lighting AND the stock bioballs and are doing great with plenty of fish, live rock and corals. NO extra lighting, filters, skimmers.

this makes me think i would be fine with the BC29. are these in store setups going to have trouble down the line (both have been setup since around end of the year so they are only three months into it).

i have a 30 gallon tank now with 20+ LBs of LR and fish. I will transfer all of that to whatever tank i get in the next few days. i want some inverts/soft corals eventaully but as a newbie reefer, i am in no hurry

so you can see i am very torn between these two sweet AIO kits.

any advice would be great! BTW this forum has already been a great source of info. i have been lurking for a while and decided to post now that i am ready to dive in

coral_addict
I can get a Oceanic BC29 and stand for $400+tax at the LFS.

or i can order online and get a RSM and stand for aprox $650 (with shipping).

is the RSM worth another $250? you get 5 more gallons capacity, 110 watts (vs 72 with the BC29) and a protein skimmer included.

i could save money and get the BC29 but everybody on this forum(who know much more than myslef, the novice) seems to immediately get a $150 skimmer for it and order a lighting upgrade form nanotuners.com. so then i am right at the same price point as the RSM if i upgrade

I have seen the BC29 setup at the 2 LFS and it is sweet. 2 stores in my area have them with the stock lighting AND the stock bioballs and are doing great with plenty of fish, live rock and corals. NO extra lighting, filters, skimmers.

this makes me think i would be fine with the BC29. are these in store setups going to have trouble down the line (both have been setup since around end of the year so they are only three months into it).

i have a 30 gallon tank now with 20+ LBs of LR and fish. I will transfer all of that to whatever tank i get in the next few days. i want some inverts/soft corals eventaully but as a newbie reefer, i am in no hurry

so you can see i am very torn between these two sweet AIO kits.

any advice would be great! BTW this forum has already been a great source of info. i have been lurking for a while and decided to post now that i am ready to dive in

It's a preference thing. What you will find in this forum is that most people will recommend to you more than what you need. Most of them don't price in the cost, just recommend the best they know or over do it for bragging rights (Crazy strong pump in tiny tank or Rediculous 150-250W MH over Picos). I have a BC14 and a BC29. They are both great tanks. You don't have to have a Skimmer especially if you're going to be keeping to be keeping up with the weekly maintenance. My tank is always clean and since I modify the factory filter, I throw away the Filter floss every few days so it takes all the Nasty Gunk anyway. Stock lighting is decent for standard Corals but you may consider higher if you're consider CLAM, SPS, and Anamenomes. Overall a decent package, try shopping around and see if you can get it total for less than $400. The stand / tank is a nice combo. I haven't seen too many ppl that are not happy with a BioCube.

snake plissken

Thanks for the quick replies. I know this is hobby is demanding on the wallet and not recomended for those who want to skimp. but i would rather use that cash to stock the tank with critters instead of buying equipment just so i can say i have the best.

that said, i am not much of a DIY guy(at least when it comes to tanks). i do not want to have to upgrade too much and do a bunch of mods just be able to support my livestock

I have one nano running without a skimmer and one running with a skimmer. Other than the skimmer the tanks and filtration methods are identicle. I have to say the tank with the skimmer runs much cleaner and clearer, maintains better water parameters, and is considerable more stable in terms of overall chemistry.

IMO, a skimmer should not be under rated as an effective means of maintaining a healthy reef system.

i would go with the 25G or the 34G from Cadlights with the 150w MH and the 48w of T5. i looked at the RS and the BC29 also, but i just LOVE halides and the blue cell-cast back.

snake plissken

I can certianly appreciate the MH. My buddy had a 90 gallon reef tank with MH lighting and it was very impressive. However, I also have the wife factor to consider. my current tank looks like a science project with all of the components, wires, etc on it. the salt creep does not help much either. the concise hood and well organized look of the RSM and BC29 have me leaning more towards them.

i did check out cadlights.com though and the lighting on top of the tank is pretty streamlined.

Does anybody have a comment on the LFS setups i described. both are running with the Bioballs and no added protein skimmer. everyhting i have read here or elsewhere convinces me that the skimmer is almost a neccessity.

are these successful only becasue the tanks are so new?

chuckfullservice

IMO skimmers are not necessary unless you have a heavily stocked tank and/or your over feeding your tank. It is all a matter of what you want vs. what you need !

Is money a factor?

A skimmer is not a necessity ! It will better the quality of your water over all if you decide to use one! But just because you don't use one that doesn't mean you cant' keep fish and corals alive, happy and healthy ! I would suggest to you to know exactly what you want to put in your aquarium , if you want hard corals that require lots of intense lighting and/or corals that require meaty foods then I would recomend getting a skimmer also keep in mind the fish you may want to put in the tank if they require live food, once again a skimmer would be best !

Here is whats in my tank it is skimmerless with 4.36 mod and back filtration mod!

29 gallon biocube

1 clown fish

1 yellowtail damsel

1 green chromis

25 misc snails

1 cleaner shrimp

5 hermit crabs

1 sand sifting sea star

3 - exenia I have fragged it 2 times since I purchased the original piece !

30 polyps super colored zoas started with 5

15 palys started with 2 came with super colored polys as hitch hikers yeah !

1- 3 headed frogspawn which is over growing it has double in size since I purchased it last month !

20 - mushroons green hairy started with about 7

unknow amount of gsp started with around 10 polyps !

I write this so you can get an understanding of what i have and what is doing well in my tank , I could probably not keep more difficult corals ! My tank is sparkiling clean the sand is clean the only problem I have is ocassional algae outbreaks wich can be cleaned manually ,but theese are becoming less and less frequent !

Good luck hope I didn't confuse you! :D

snake plissken

thanks chuck. that is helpful. i am familair with the 4.36 mod.

but what is the back filtration mod that you did?

This would be a tough call. I have a BC29 because the Red Sea was not out yet. It may all come down to $$$$. With the modifications I have made, I am at right at the proce of a RSM.. I am sure if I got the RSM, I would want to make mods to it as well.

That is the way I am.

BTW, THe price of the RSM sounds really cheap. My LFS is selling the tank alone for that much.

Have you also checked out the finnex M-tank and the cad tanks that one of the board sponsors carry.

they have everything you could want at the same price or cheaper.

No they are not a closed top although the cad does sell lids to keep fish from escaping.

I have debated long and hard on which tank to set up at home and its going to be either the finnex or cad.

check them out its worth a second to compare.

I have the RSM and love it so far. The only thorn in my side at the moment is micro-bubbles finding their way into the display from the skimmer.

The set-up is very well thought out and RedSea's customer support has been spot on....

It's 34G, but when you set it up it looks much bigger than imagined. I got the stand with it and the whole set up looks so sharp.

This is the most thorough review / discussion that I have found on the MAX check it out. You'll see that about 90% of the RSM owners encounter the micro-bubble problem, but most get rid of it as the tank goes through its process for a week or two

If you are considering the Red Sea Max this is a must read.

http://www.reefsuk.org/forum/viewtopic.php...ba6d5e0ec946924

snake plissken

If you are considering the Red Sea Max this is a must read.

http://www.reefsuk.org/forum/viewtopic.php...ba6d5e0ec946924

i stumbled on to that forum last week. you are right, it is incredibly detailed

...very informative

i think i may jump on the RSM despite never seeing one in person. everybody says they look and run great. and i guess it is better to get all the lighting you can up front instead of wishing you had later.

i like the BC29 but if i want more lighting output, I am not thrilled about soldering and mangling a tank i spent hundreds of dollars on. I can buy all the parts and build my own computer so I am not adverse to DIY. However i also know my own limitations and i think i would be extremly frustrated if i tried to upgrade and ended up ruining $400 worth of oceanic hardware

SecondBreath

The RSM! It's a fantastic tank if you want a enclosed glass look, otherswise go with the cadlights acrylic setup.

I bought the RSM thinking it had everything I wanted and it pretty much did although I ended up upgrading my lighting to Metal Halide recently. And now I couldn't be happier!

Personally, I've seen the RSM and the 29g Biocube next to one another and there's really no comparison between the two. Not knocking the biocube, but the price difference goes a long way when you start comparing the two and actually see them side-by-side.

Also no one really talks about it, but the difference in the appearnace and space avaliable within the RSM's stand is a big bonus as well.

Good luck and I agree the link provided above is a great thread to read although if you're interested in modding this bad boy you may want to see what I've done so far...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=red+sea

I almost bought a Red Sea max. i think they are nice tanks. I did decide on the biocube because for the deal I got out the door I could obtain the sapphire skimmer, the nanotuners halide lighting mod, a good heater and have less than the stock red sea. I would say shop hard add you costs and only you can decide on what option to choose. I do not think in my house I will need a chiller and the pump replacement in i use a tunze nano stream 6025 is the same. I just got to much bang for my buck though hardly inexpensive with the bc29 for the great deal I got it for. ( over a 100 dollars less than you would pay. It included stand also)

cannonball68

i think it goes down to the Cadlights or Red sea for the best nano's out there. the cadlights are a more reefer oriented tank because of the fully integrated refugium and open top. the seamless glass bends on all their tanks is what really appeals to most people also. red sea max has everything built-in to one unit, closed top. not too much space for future mods or equipment upgrades. i think it is the best of the conventionally manufactured style aquariums (bio-cube, nano-cube, aquapods).

i went with the Cadlights for aesthethics, equipment and design. also because i wanted to get something a little bit more stylish.

I'd go with RSM over the BC29 but if you don't mind an open top the cadlights tank is definitley the way to go.

Cadlights has much better lighting with a built in refugium, I'd have to say hands down the best all in one you can purchase. Not to mention they just came out with their 34G not too long ago.

SecondBreath

I agree the cadlights setup is probably the best all-around setup but how are your expereiinces with the open top and the acrylic? Those were my biggest concerns when selecting my tank....

chuckfullservice

The filter mod is easy to do , you just notch out the first wall in the back so more water flows into the second chamber! As far as acrylic stay away they are beautiful but after 2-3 years it tends to warp especially if under a heat source such as lighting i.e. metal halide !!! As far as the red sea tank never heard of them but I will investigate!

Good luck!

chuckfullservice

WOW the red sea max looks really nice , a bit pricey but--- it looks like it has a good amout of lighting 2 -55w t5's, a heater , a skimmer and room for mods . It also would appear that the company cares alittle more then the others , in the description of the tank it gives capacity 34 gal and volume 29 gallons which is nice to know when your trying to stock your tank. For instance my 29 gallon biocube only actually holds around 23 - 24 gallons of water, because of the rock and other space inhabitants! Wich would have been nice to know when I ordered $250 of live rock (40lbs) and ended up throwing away around $100 of that rock because it just didn't fit! Also when you go to buy fish and it says min tank size 30 gallons well I don't actually have 30 gals more like 24 ! The only aprehension I have is, any new products need some "in the field testing " to see if there is any bugs ! By bugs I mean defects or other design errors !

It does look like a really nice set up though , I wish I would have waited to buy my tank because I would have went with the red sea max!

Archived