Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

T-5 VS. metal halied

Maco

Hi do you all think i should have a T-5 or metal halied 250w over my 20L frag tank. T-5 are what i am going for insted of the halied becuse it runs cooler use less elctric and i can also still keep sps under a 4 bulb 36'' T-5 tek. Thank you.

-Mac :happy:

That about covers it.

Both lights can get the job done and they each have their pros and cons. That being said, I have T5s on my current tank, but if I were to upgrade to a much larger tank I would probably go back to metal halide. I miss the shimmer effect.

Hi do you all think i should have a T-5 or metal halied 250w over my 20L frag tank. T-5 are what i am going for insted of the halied becuse it runs cooler use less elctric and i can also still keep sps under a 4 bulb 36'' T-5 tek. Thank you.

-Mac :happy:

You already seem pretty set on T5's and I would go for it. I about went nuts trying to decide myself. I started like 3 different threads about it and looked into everything I could on both.

I ended up going with the T5s because I wanted to try something different and didn't want to deal with the heat of metal halide. So far I am really impressed. I can touch the bulb with my bare hand and not hurt myself. Metal halide on the other hand, ouch!! The hood stays very cool too. I can put my hand on it after it has been on for 8 hours and it is still only warm.

least intelligent post in the history of the internet.

Dont see yours doing much better.

I like halide myself with actinic supplementation.

I ownd a halide and now 4 T5ho's on an icecap with tek reflectors....While the T5ho's are nice they dont look as natual as a halide does to me.....Sure the T5's get a tiny bit of shimmer but nothing like a halide..You will get better coverage with T5's but that coul be bad if you are trying to keep some low light corals....

I find my tank with the halide has a lot more shady spots unlike the tank with the T5's....

They are both good but I have to give the edge to halide

I ownd a halide and now 4 T5ho's on an icecap with tek reflectors....While the T5ho's are nice they dont look as natual as a halide does to me.....Sure the T5's get a tiny bit of shimmer but nothing like a halide..You will get better coverage with T5's but that coul be bad if you are trying to keep some low light corals....

I find my tank with the halide has a lot more shady spots unlike the tank with the T5's....

They are both good but I have to give the edge to halide

This post pretty much covers all my thoughts on both lighting systems.

Well i found a cheaper metal halied on live aquaria $230 250w insted of $287 + $80 should i still go with the T-5 or with the halied the only bad things about the halied is the heat, electricity but i don't pay the bills my Dad dose ;) ,bulb life, and the bulb cost.

-Mac :ninja:

Honestly, I really like my metal halide lighting. I have the 2-150 48" Sunpod. It does get hot, but not so hot that my tank won't cool itself. I don't have any experience with the T5 lighting, but with as much as i like my halides... i'd recommend them. Also, check out aquabuys.com for your lighting needs... they have a lot and for very cheap.

had em all and quite frankly full tank coverage has never appealed to me shimmer effect is way to aesthetically pleasing both do the job but t5's give the tank far too fake of a look for me

depending on where you live, you might have an easier time finding the correct bulb if you went with halides rather than T5.

But if you have some really cutting edge stores, or have a good supplier for internet orders, T5 could work for you.

I'm gonna go ahead with..

buy both! and run two identical tanks and see which you prefer in the long run.

don't we all wish? =P

had em all and quite frankly full tank coverage has never appealed to me shimmer effect is way to aesthetically pleasing both do the job but t5's give the tank far too fake of a look for me

So I just switched my 4 x 6w T5's from my 5gal for a 70w astralux 14K. I've lost some of the "neon" glow that came from my actinics but the MH sure adds depth to such a small tank. I mean it REALLY looks like the sun is shining down through the water. Even I have shimmer now in my little pico reef :D

I imagine it's going to look even better as I lower the MH closer to the surface. Now if I could figure out a way to run my actinics as well it would be perfect.

Well i think i will have a 250w metal halied over my 20l reef not started. And a T-5

over my 20l frag tank. Also to see which is better i will take two frags of some sort

add them at the same time place them at same levels and see which grows better.

-Mac :P

So I just switched my 4 x 6w T5's from my 5gal for a 70w astralux 14K. I've lost some of the "neon" glow that came from my actinics but the MH sure adds depth to such a small tank. I mean it REALLY looks like the sun is shining down through the water. Even I have shimmer now in my little pico reef :D

I imagine it's going to look even better as I lower the MH closer to the surface. Now if I could figure out a way to run my actinics as well it would be perfect.

Buy a 14k bulb and you wont need actinics

I have a 14k astra lux. Actually when I made that comment I guess the lamp was still heating up. The intensity has increased quite a bit and my clam is glowing like crazy. I'll post up some pics later.

i use compact flouresents and supplemental LED lighting on my 20 gallon. as a point source (led's) it will give you the shimmer effect of halides with enough surface agitation. i use 276 LED's in a array and 2-20 watt xenon bulbs powered by a 12 volt regulated power source. it easily rivals any 70 watt halide i have seen, and with out the heat. just a suggestion...

i use compact flouresents and supplemental LED lighting on my 20 gallon. as a point source (led's) it will give you the shimmer effect of halides with enough surface agitation. i use 276 LED's in a array and 2-20 watt xenon bulbs powered by a 12 volt regulated power source. it easily rivals any 70 watt halide i have seen, and with out the heat. just a suggestion...

276 leds wow did you make the aray urself or buy it leds are amazing cant wait for the price to drop

LED is indeed the future of aquarium lighting. Sadly the only options right now are to pay top dollar for a solaris setup or diy your own led hood/pendant.

HecticDialectics
LED is indeed the future of aquarium lighting. Sadly the only options right now are to pay top dollar for a solaris setup or diy your own led hood/pendant.

word on the street is that the solaris has really crappy par, too.

I would imagine higher end companies like giessemann, ice cap, etc and even some more moderate end manufacturers like current-usa, maybe coralife, etc are already working on LED prototypes that will be available with in a few years. Just got to give it time and they'll be as cheap as power compact/metal halide/t5.

Archived