ReefCleaners.org

Xenia Dying?

todd2000

So I got this frag with 2 stalks of Xenia on Sat. The stalk on the right seems fine, but the stalk on the left is all shriveled up. It never extends, any more then the picture. I also have another frag of Xenia, and it's perfect. Im doing tank maintenance tomorrow, should I just break the left stalk off and toss it? Is it dying?

Here is a pic:

DSC01061.jpg

Thanks

I think you are way to concerned about your xenia. It will grow like a weed. If that left part dies, it dies. I would just leave it alone. In a few weeks you will be trying to get rid of it because you have so much.

I think you are way to concerned about your xenia. It will grow like a weed. If that left part dies, it dies. I would just leave it alone. In a few weeks you will be trying to get rid of it because you have so much.

Well excuse me for being concerned. I didn't know if it might affect the other stalk or anything. I hope it doest spread too fast, I put it near the top, because I read that it wont grow downward.

It will grow everywhere!!! I'll get some pics when I get home to demonstrate.

You got me worried now. I don't want it taking over my tank. I wasn't even planning on getting any, but my friend came down to visit and insisted I get some, what can I say when he bought me $75 wort of livestock :).

I think you are probably somewhat safe doing the whole put it high theory. But it is true that it will grow down if it feels like it. So just make sure you are ready to stop it if it gets crazy.

Isolate it in the sand if your that worried about it.

I was thinking of that, but I don't have much room on my sand. Im gonna do some re-aranging in a few days so we'll see what I can come up with.

I've got it growing up my back wall. When it sends out tendrils to the rock, I snip it and flush it. God, the smell on your hands afterwards is horrible.

chuckfullservice

Its a rather hearty species , very difficult to kill it is probly happy were it is and does not need to extend to get its lighting requirements any longer! Also water flow plays a large part in the way they behave! Low flow = pulsing hands ussually

High flow = no pulsing and low extension ussually !

My questions are - what are your water params? How old is you tank and what is your current live stock !

Theesecan help us out a little!

Archived