ReefCleaners.org

36watts over a 3 gallon picotope

reeferman-chris

reeferman-chris

Right now i have a couple colonies of zoos, ric, hammer coral, and various shrroms. Is this light gonna be overkill?post-25879-1175106586_thumb.jpg

Probably not overkill. The corals might need time to acclimate though if it is a big jump in wattage from what you have now.

reeferman-chris
Eggcrate or window screen for acclimation. :)

That sounds like a good idea...

If i didn't use the window screen or eggcrate is cutting down the hours the lights run and gradually increasing it gonna be ok?

reeferman-chris
maybe, maybe not. I think it is more of the shock of massive light rather than the time it is on.

Cool... Thanks so much for the info guys!!! I think I'll be using the good ole window screen! :D

How long should i acclimate for???

The TOM Aquatic Deco 3G kits come standard with 18Watts, and that seems pretty bright to me: 18W compact fluorescent light with a 50/50 14K and 7400K lamp.

Actually, I just went through with this over a 2.5G. I went from a 9W 50/50 to the Coralife 2x18W fixture.

I kept the photoperiod the same and used a blach fiberglass window screen material as an acclimation tool. I also have a glass lid on the tank, so there is another level of light filtration. I just removed the screen after 5 days with it in place. The corals seem to be responding well and it does not seem like too much light.

Actually my shrooms have literally doubled in size and the white pompom zenia is pulsing like never before.

Do it; no regrets.

Yeah, most of our tanks have no where near the light these corals see in nature. 36w over a 2.5g or a 3g is nothing, really. Just acclimate them well and they'll soon enjoy the better lighting.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the whole 9w to 36w thing on my Picotope. I built a little light hanging rig and hung the light higher up. Over a week or so I gradually lowered it a little bit every day to acclimate. Worked out fine and the corals LOVE the increase in light. No heat issues to speak of.

Here's a pic when it was just about all the way down:

post-22455-1177077423_thumb.jpg

avalanche1201

ive got the 36w. no heat issues or anything.

My only prob was algae b/c I just threw the thing on since I didnt have any corals yet when I got...but i got that all uner control now.

you'll love the light

reeferman-chris

Hey just wanted to give an update on this. So I ordered this fixute from DR F&S and it came exactly when it should have. Problem though... the actinic would only light for a few seconds!!! I put it on the otherside of the fixture and same thing happened. To my dissmay it seems that the bulb is bad! So I ordered another actinic bulb to replace it.... and ... USPS lost it! So I called DR F & S and they are fedexing me another one overnight.. I've had this fixture for like 3 weeks. My LFS has been ordering them for me but they're supplier sux!!! Anyway... Hopefully Monday I should have the bulb and be able to start acclimating!

Wish me luck,

Chris

Archived